Sending updates to schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doinmybest5840

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A lot of people have suggested sending schools updates when a semester is finished, but I was wondering when it would be best to do this. I'll have my spring term grades by about June 20th, and then I'll graduate after the fall semester. So should I just wait until I'm completely done and then send a full transcript, or send it out after each semester? Also, do most people send updated official transcripts, or just a letter saying something to the effect of "I just wanted to inform you that I have completed another semester of classes. I got X grades in X classes, and it has moved my GPA to a X.XX."?

I feel like it would be a pain to go request official transcripts to be sent out to every single school I'm applying to, but if that is what needs to be done, I'll do it.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm joining, I got the same question.:thumbup:

A lot of people I know have applied and waited until schools asked for final transcripts. Most of them did this post-secondary, around the time an interview was offered.

I wouldn't update them with each semester; just wait until you graduate, send them a letter informing them you have completed your undergraduate degree (listing your final GPA) and that will probably prompt them to ask for transcripts, if they haven't already.

And yes, if you're a competitive applicant, you should expect to wind up sending final transcripts to everywhere that doesn't reject after the secondary.

Best of luck,
-z

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of people I know have applied and waited until schools asked for final transcripts. Most of them did this post-secondary, around the time an interview was offered.

I wouldn't update them with each semester; just wait until you graduate, send them a letter informing them you have completed your undergraduate degree (listing your final GPA) and that will probably prompt them to ask for transcripts, if they haven't already.

And yes, if you're a competitive applicant, you should expect to wind up sending final transcripts to everywhere that doesn't reject after the secondary.

Best of luck,
-z

I figured I'd need to send it out then, but I thought it'd be sorta crazy to send it out to every place I sent a primary to.

I figured I'd need to send it out then, but I thought it'd be sorta crazy to send it out to every place I sent a primary to.

Absolutely. Either wait for them to ask, or call the admissions office when you send in your secondary and ask how they'd prefer you handle it.