Senior In Need of LORSs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YungGeezy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm a senior graduating this upcoming spring and applying to med school this upcoming summer. I want to start to lay the groundwork for LORs but I have already taken all my "science" classes already. I've been thinking about emailing my 2 most recent science professors and asking them to meet for a little to discuss their research. I don't want to appear totally not genuine but idk what else to do

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm a senior graduating this upcoming spring and applying to med school this upcoming summer. I want to start to lay the groundwork for LORs but I have already taken all my "science" classes already. I've been thinking about emailing my 2 most recent science professors and asking them to meet for a little to discuss their research. I don't want to appear totally not genuine but idk what else to do
Unfortunately this is something you should've started years ago.

My opinion is that at this point you might as well straight up ask if they'd be comfortable discussing your academic qualifications, give them a resume, and hope for the best. "Discussing research" shortly before asking for a LOR is going to come off very poorly.

Reactions: 2 users
You don't have to ask to meet to discuss their research... That sounds a little weird (unless your intentions are to join their team and help them with their research.)

Professors know that students need LORs. You can email them saying "I took the course "PUGS 101: Intro to Pugs" with you and received a grade of ___. I am applying to medical school and would think a letter of recommendation from you would be beneficial to my application. I have attached my resume/CV and can meet with you at your earliest convenience to talk more about it." I just thought of this off the top of my head, you can make the actual email more detailed and describe what you liked about the course.

It doesn't come off as not genuine at all, don't worry. Every student has to do it.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the two other people. Just ask at this point. I wouldn't attach my CV or try to schedule a meeting until they actually say yes though... I would be afraid of coming off as pushy.
By the way... did you ever have any contact with any of your professors? Did you at least go to a few office hours?

I wouldn't attach my CV or try to schedule a meeting until they actually say yes though... I would be afraid of coming off as pushy.
I definitely agree with you, but I feel like in his case since he has about 6 months to get the LORs, it might expedite the process if he is a little bit of pushy. I was in a similar position as far as getting LORs and it's a nightmare unless you are consistent.

I agree with the two other people. Just ask at this point. I wouldn't attach my CV or try to schedule a meeting until they actually say yes though... I would be afraid of coming off as pushy.
By the way... did you ever have any contact with any of your professors? Did you at least go to a few office hours?
Yeah I went to several of their office hours while I was taking the class and received A's both them. I was also active in discussions in class but I never really felt like I built a personal relationship with them

You don't have to ask to meet to discuss their research... That sounds a little weird (unless your intentions are to join their team and help them with their research.)

Professors know that students need LORs. You can email them saying "I took the course "PUGS 101: Intro to Pugs" with you and received a grade of ___. I am applying to medical school and would think a letter of recommendation from you would be beneficial to my application. I have attached my resume/CV and can meet with you at your earliest convenience to talk more about it." I just thought of this off the top of my head, you can make the actual email more detailed and describe what you liked about the course.

It doesn't come off as not genuine at all, don't worry. Every student has to do it.

Yeah that makes sense, I appreciate the advice! I would like the letters to be as personal as possible but at this point I'll take what I can get

Does your school do a committee letter? Those neutral, nice but boring letters could be mixed together to be more flattering.