DrJello

10+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2005
Status
If you have any advice/words of wisdom/thoughts about this situation, I'd love to hear anything from anyone!!!

I am all finished interviewing and ready to submit my rank list for med-peds... I just took an elective in emergency medicine and found that I love it and am over 90% sure it's what I want to do, after some serious "soul-searching".

My question is, now what!!! I wish I could turn back time, research EM programs, interview and match in EM... that's obviously not happening (too many deadlines have passed for this year). I definitely would much rather NOT withdraw from the match and re-enter next year for EM...

So assuming I'll be matched as a PGY-1 in med-peds, what are my options from there-- any recs/suggestions on how to go about switching to EM? I know there are 1-4, 2-4, and 1-3 programs... so after my intern year in med-peds, what will my best options be? Some Med/Peds programs are designed so that u r an intern for 16 months-- will that throw things off if I match at one of those programs? As I consider my Med/Peds rank list, should I also be looking at what that institution's EM program is like, or would I more likely be re-locating anyway??? Please let me know what you think, whatever your perspective... Thanks!!!!!!!!

PlayHard

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2005
Status
DrJello said:
If you have any advice/words of wisdom/thoughts about this situation, I'd love to hear anything from anyone!!!

I am all finished interviewing and ready to submit my rank list for med-peds... I just took an elective in emergency medicine and found that I love it and am over 90% sure it's what I want to do, after some serious "soul-searching".

My question is, now what!!! I wish I could turn back time, research EM programs, interview and match in EM... that's obviously not happening (too many deadlines have passed for this year). I definitely would much rather NOT withdraw from the match and re-enter next year for EM...

So assuming I'll be matched as a PGY-1 in med-peds, what are my options from there-- any recs/suggestions on how to go about switching to EM? I know there are 1-4, 2-4, and 1-3 programs... so after my intern year in med-peds, what will my best options be? Some Med/Peds programs are designed so that u r an intern for 16 months-- will that throw things off if I match at one of those programs? As I consider my Med/Peds rank list, should I also be looking at what that institution's EM program is like, or would I more likely be re-locating anyway??? Please let me know what you think, whatever your perspective... Thanks!!!!!!!!

I'm also a 4th year (who just got home wasted!), so really don't know if this will help, but at one program I interviewed at, the EM resident told me that he was initially a resident on the floor (I think IM). Realized he loved EM and kept on good terms with all the ER attendings and PD, while at the same time expressing his interest in EM. He said when he applied for a spot at that program (a 3 year program) he was pretty much guaranteed a spot and ended up getting in. I would think that the extra internship year could only help with getting one of the more competitive positions after residency. Don't really know though.

Seaglass

Quantum Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2003
Winston Salem, NC
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
One thing I think that residents looking to switch into EM tend to forget is that when you are on your ED rotations as a resident you are being compared to other residents/interns - not the 4th year students. I have heard of several people trying to switch into ED programs that had ED rotations that were better than 4th year students but compared to their peers they were terrible. Just something to keep in mind.

About the Ads

Andy Kahn

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 2, 2003
Dallas, TX
www.andykahnmd.com
Status
I am at a 3 yr EM program. One of the interns in my class started out in the anesthesia program. When he rotated through EM, he loved it and applied and matched at our program. (He calls himself the PGY2 intern.) If you are at a program with an EM residency, it would be good to keep in touch with the EM program director and let him/her know of your interest. That would help you possibly match there or receive advice for matching elsewhere.
-andy

Dr.Evil1

10+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
Status
Attending Physician
As a 3rd year medical student my peds supervising intern was a med/peds guy. Found out that he didn't like med-peds anymore and as a super intern (month 13 of 16) he decided that wanted into EM. On the interview trail I ran into him as a 1st year EM resident at another program around town. I don't know how much time you would have as a intern to try to apply to EM and to get EM letters and such but I do know it can be done.

OP
D

DrJello

10+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2005
Status
Thank you all SO MUCH!!! It was awesome to hear what everyone had to offer... it definitely made me realize there will be options if I look for them!

About the Ads