senior students/graduates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SeaBass

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How long does it take to get some confidence in your clinical work and when does the speed come? I just started clinical this year and was curious.

Members don't see this ad.

This depends if you have good patients or not, and if they come in to get their work done! Generally if you do about 15-20 fillings you should build confidence, and speed...I say I had full confidence my 3rd year 4 months after.
Itsmoney!
:clap:

I have been graduated for about 7 months now and have been working for 5 but 2 months don't really count as it was the associateship from hell - but I am just starting to get confident in some procedures. I am pretty confident with crowns and operative and starting to feel better with surgical extractions but still haven't done much endo or posterior composites. I think it depends on your personality, when you feel confident. I have friends who felt confident from day 1, wheras I still feel like a student.

I worked for a genius dentist who was both an excellent clinician and also managed to have his patients go with his treatment plans 99% of the time. He used to tell me that it takes 5 years to get your speed and abilities up. It takes forever to get your quality up because you are constantly improving. The most important thing is to have confidence and that is relayed to the patient and also makes you more positive about what you do. Over time, you will eventually use the same system for the same procedure and you will work much more efficiently.