Senior Undergrad, chances for Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Big Muscles

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am a senior University student (going to graduate in May 13')

I know I am late.. However I really want to go to Med School, things have occurred with me where I now have a true passion to get into medicine.

I never have been 100% strict with my gpa because before I did not know what I wanted to do, never the less med school.

SO realistically I will be graduating with a 3.0gpa.... which I know is VERY low and non competitive for med school.

However I volunteer 5 hours a week at a shelter, & taught kids swim lessons+life guard. And now that I know I want to go to med school I have buckled down.

I just landed a competitive internship at a really good hospital in their cardiopulmonary rehab center.

And research with a doc this upcoming year.

Also have been shadowing MD, and PA. - still need DO

Also I have been a competitive natural bodybuilder while in college... I know that's weird/random, but it requires a lot of dedication. (just a side passion/hobby of mine)

& upon graduation going straight into my pre reqs. (have only done 1 yr Anatomy & Physiology + 1 yr English + 1 semester Gen Chem + 1 semester Bio)

I am just worried it is too late for me.....

I know it is easier said than done... but I am a really good student once I buckle down.

I want to try my very best and get A's in ALL my pre-req classes (O-Chem, Micro, BioChem, genetics, Bio II, Physics I+II, etc). And suppose I do, would that be my only shot to get into med school? (and of course MCAT score)

Cause I know they will look at my undergrad and want to know why I did poorly.

I will explain that I did not want to apply to med school till mid way into my senior year..

Thanks in advance, any comments advice is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I am a senior University student (going to graduate in May 13')

I know I am late.. However I really want to go to Med School, things have occurred with me where I now have a true passion to get into medicine.

I never have been 100% strict with my gpa because before I did not know what I wanted to do, never the less med school.

SO realistically I will be graduating with a 3.0gpa.... which I know is VERY low and non competitive for med school.

However I volunteer 5 hours a week at a shelter, & taught kids swim lessons+life guard. And now that I know I want to go to med school I have buckled down.

I just landed a competitive internship at a really good hospital in their cardiopulmonary rehab center.

And research with a doc this upcoming year.

Also have been shadowing MD, and PA. - still need DO

Also I have been a competitive natural bodybuilder while in college... I know that's weird/random, but it requires a lot of dedication. (just a side passion/hobby of mine)

& upon graduation going straight into my pre reqs. (have only done 1 yr Anatomy & Physiology + 1 yr English + 1 semester Gen Chem + 1 semester Bio)

I am just worried it is too late for me.....

I know it is easier said than done... but I am a really good student once I buckle down.

I want to try my very best and get A's in ALL my pre-req classes (O-Chem, Micro, BioChem, genetics, Bio II, Physics I+II, etc). And suppose I do, would that be my only shot to get into med school? (and of course MCAT score)

Cause I know they will look at my undergrad and want to know why I did poorly.

I will explain that I did not want to apply to med school till mid way into my senior year..

Thanks in advance, any comments advice is greatly appreciated.
For DO:
What will your cGPA and sGPA be if you earn all A grades in the planned coursework?

DO GPA calculation spreadsheet: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=450050
Newer modified version: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=839864

AACOMAS sGPA includes (scroll to bottom half): http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=552026

Also, do you have any particularly low grades where replacing them would benefit your numbers?

AACOMAS grade forgiveness policy: Each class that one retakes must have the same credit hours as the original course, or greater. The retake need not be at the same school. The course name needn't be identical so long as the course content is demonstrably similar per the course catalogs.

When one retakes, only the most recent grade is included in the calculation of your application GPA by AACOMAS. This is the fastest way to redeem a low GPA.

For MD:

Not impossible, depending on strength of new coursework, how well you do on the MCAT, and the leniency of your in-state med schools.

For either: Your ECs are very promising and your plans look good.