Senior Underloads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omegaz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a senior that underloaded last semester (12 credits) due to 2 grad-level microbiology courses and a time-consuming lab course. However, I'm thinking about underloading again this semester because I'll be talking 3 grad-level microbiology courses and I'm not sure if I can handle a full course load in addition to studying for the MCAT and doing research. Is this advisable? I asked this question before, the general consensus was that one semester of underload shouldn't matter. So, will 2 semesters of underloads in my senior year look bad for medical school applications?

Thanks!

EDIT: One disadvantage is that I won't be eligible for the Dean's List if I chose to underload, but that shouldn't hurt me too much, right?

Members don't see this ad.

Your courseload matters very little in the grand scheme of things if you maintain a high GPA. I know many people who take 12 units every semester and they got into medical school just fine.

You'll be fine, as long as you remain a full-time student (so 12 credits is fine). Just make sure to do well in your classes. And I highly doubt making/not making the Dean's list will have any significant impact on your application. Lastly, try your best to stay on top of everything.... I imagine it will become difficult to stay focused at the end of the year, when graduation is approaching and everyone just wants to hang... stay on top of that MCAT! Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Studying for the MCAT along with having a difficult load (work, school, or both) is a terrible idea from first-hand experience. Doable, but terrible idea. I'd go with the lighter load.

I agree with the others; I don't think it will be an issue.