Senior year and Applying ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dudesweetdew

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Unavailable

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
i have similar case and i would say post bacc. MD you would need a 29 at least and DO you could get away with even a 24 25.

A traditional masters program will not help your undergrad GPA by which you are initially judged along with MCAT score. A Special Masters Program (SMP) is different and is a way to redeem a low GPA. If you can get an MCAT of at least 30, you could get into a good one. They are expensive and you are not guaranteed to get into an allopathic med school. Typically, you'd need a GPA of 3.5+ in the program where you are competing with actual med students for top grades in order to be successful.

I would be more in favor of your staying in your undergrad program for a fifth year, which would effect your GPA the same as an informal postbac program where you take more classes on your own (except you'd have priority for class registration). If money is no object, formal programs could be considered also. If you can get your uGPA to 3.5 or higher, you'd be in a good place if your MCAT is 32 or so for allopathic med schools. With a 3.4 and 26 MCAT, you'd have a decent shot at DO programs.

I think your best time to apply would be in June 2011, unless you will have optimal ECs in the next six months, and can get your cGPA to 3.4 by June with an MCAT of 33, Then it would be reasonable to apply in June 2010. If you wait until you finish summer classes to apply, you will be decreasing yor chances by applying on the late side.

Members don't see this ad :)
i think i have seen it both ways. People that are on the upper trend with GPAs and MCATS gettign rejected on the basis of thier ECs personal statements and interviews and on the other hand people getting accepted even with lower stats like 3.3s (yes, to allopathic schools), with stellar personal statements. So i would say make everything else those stand out! im sure you have a fair amount; make that incredible and rock your ps. Try to raise ur gpa to atleast a 3.4 and get at least a 30 on ur mcat. you shud have a decent shot

I agree that you are going to need to raise your GPA if you can & get a 30-ish MCAT. You need to really buckle down--do well in classes & study hard for the MCAT.

When you say your GPA was massacred to a 3.2--does that mean you have some C's anywhere? If so--I would recommend doing the post-bacc program (if that is the one that will help your undergrad GPA), not the Master's Program--unless like an earlier person said you have the funds. I am in a Medical Master's program, but my undergrad GPA was higher than a 3.5. Bottom line, you need to show that you can be successful in science classes.

Best of luck.

So the B redeemed the C in OChem I. Genetics, Micro, and Immuno are not prerequisites. You don't need to retake them, just get As in some other sciences to balance them. I don't think you need to repeat the labs, again, just balance them with some As.

I'm almost afraid to ask: What is your BCPM GPA?

I acutally only replaced a B in orgo 2 not orgo one and I cant anymore due to the new no replaicng C policy, but yah my BCPM gpa isnt that great its quite low, what would you advise ? What other classes to take like right now I finished most of the prerequisites, should I just take some easy science electives ?

I acutally only replaced a B in orgo 2 not orgo one and I cant anymore due to the new no replaicng C policy, but yah my BCPM gpa isnt that great its quite low, what would you advise ? What other classes to take like right now I finished most of the prerequisites, should I just take some easy science electives ?
Taking easy science electives is fine, or retake at a CC over the summer. You need not transfer the grade to your primary college, but when you apply to med schools, you'll submit both transcripts to the application service and the retake grade will be factored into your application GPA.