Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Senior Year Classes: Biochem or Physiology?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by jjkenzie, 10.29.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
?

Biochem and/or Animal Phys?

1. Biochem

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Animal Phys

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Both!

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  4. Neither :) (take it way easy)

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. jjkenzie

jjkenzie 2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Hi all,
    I am registering for my FINAL undergrad semester. Yay! But I am torn between taking classes that are really going to bump my knowledge for medical school or just taking it easy. I will definitely take Biochem or Animal Physiology, but I can't decide which is more important to med school prep. I am leaning towards Biochem because most schools recommend it.. But I can always take both and have a harder schedule.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Earl Simmons

Earl Simmons 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I've heard from current students that having a background in either helps make the transition to med school level versions. If you can, take both. Just make sure the rest of your classes are super easy so you can enjoy senior year! If you have to choose one, then go with Biochem.

4. SpartanWolverine

SpartanWolverine 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Totally agree. Both (or micro, anatomy, immuno, pharm, etc.) would be really helpful, but definitely biochem if you have to choose one of the two. Anything that takes some stress off of your first few semesters of med school is gold. :)

5. listener23

listener23 Banned Banned 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    If your not accepted in medical school than take bio-chem (some schools require it)

6. Stagg737

Stagg737 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Take biochem for sure. If you've taken human phys before don't worry about animal phys. If you haven't taken any phys take both.

7. Holmwood

Holmwood WOW 2+ Year Member

Animal physio was absolutely pointless for me. Like I need to know that a jellyfish has 4 types of eyes, or that lobsters have myelin sheaths that sag like old people skin... (oh, not making either of those things up.)

Mammalian physio is a different animal in itself (pun intended). Definitely useful for the mcat.

Biochem is required at some schools, and highly recommended in others. So I would take it regardless of whether it prepares you for the mcat.

If you can take both, great. If you had to choose one, choose Biochem and get a physio review book.

Czarcasm and wuhsabee like this.
  8. Brah of Science

Brah of Science

Pre-Medical
    I'm taking Biochem I this quarter and moving on to human physio next quarter. Biochem is recommended at many schools like everybody else said, but human physic should be much more interesting(I'm hating biochem right now)!! If you don't mind the harder schedule, take both!

Czarcasm likes this.
  9. f4reignbeauty

f4reignbeauty Nature lover <3 2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    If you take Biochem then you can apply to most if not all schools. On the other hand, a few schools require a physiology course, so I would look at which schools you're thinking about applying to and plan your semester in a way that would put you in the most favorable position.

Hope that helps! :)

About the ads