Senior Year Classes: Biochem or Physiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Biochem and/or Animal Phys?

• Biochem

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Animal Phys

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Both!

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Neither :) (take it way easy)

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters

jjkenzie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am registering for my FINAL undergrad semester. Yay! But I am torn between taking classes that are really going to bump my knowledge for medical school or just taking it easy. I will definitely take Biochem or Animal Physiology, but I can't decide which is more important to med school prep. I am leaning towards Biochem because most schools recommend it.. But I can always take both and have a harder schedule.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard from current students that having a background in either helps make the transition to med school level versions. If you can, take both. Just make sure the rest of your classes are super easy so you can enjoy senior year! If you have to choose one, then go with Biochem.

I've heard from current students that having a background in either helps make the transition to med school level versions. If you can, take both. Just make sure the rest of your classes are super easy so you can enjoy senior year! If you have to choose one, then go with Biochem.
Totally agree. Both (or micro, anatomy, immuno, pharm, etc.) would be really helpful, but definitely biochem if you have to choose one of the two. Anything that takes some stress off of your first few semesters of med school is gold. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
If your not accepted in medical school than take bio-chem (some schools require it)

Take biochem for sure. If you've taken human phys before don't worry about animal phys. If you haven't taken any phys take both.

Animal physio was absolutely pointless for me. Like I need to know that a jellyfish has 4 types of eyes, or that lobsters have myelin sheaths that sag like old people skin... (oh, not making either of those things up.)

Mammalian physio is a different animal in itself (pun intended). Definitely useful for the mcat.

Biochem is required at some schools, and highly recommended in others. So I would take it regardless of whether it prepares you for the mcat.

If you can take both, great. If you had to choose one, choose Biochem and get a physio review book.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm taking Biochem I this quarter and moving on to human physio next quarter. Biochem is recommended at many schools like everybody else said, but human physic should be much more interesting(I'm hating biochem right now)!! If you don't mind the harder schedule, take both!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all,
I am registering for my FINAL undergrad semester. Yay! But I am torn between taking classes that are really going to bump my knowledge for medical school or just taking it easy. I will definitely take Biochem or Animal Physiology, but I can't decide which is more important to med school prep. I am leaning towards Biochem because most schools recommend it.. But I can always take both and have a harder schedule.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

If you take Biochem then you can apply to most if not all schools. On the other hand, a few schools require a physiology course, so I would look at which schools you're thinking about applying to and plan your semester in a way that would put you in the most favorable position.

Hope that helps! :)