Senior Year Courseload--do I need to take a full load?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChessMaster3000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
At my school, people usually take 4 4-hour courses a semester. I wanted to take 3 first semester, and then possibly 2 second semester. Is that a problem? Will that look really bad to adcoms? Grades and MCAT are not at all a problem right now.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm only part-time this semester. I'm going to enjoy my last few months of college before med school begins.

I only took it light for one semester though, fall semester was tough.

At my school, people usually take 4 4-hour courses a semester. I wanted to take 3 first semester, and then possibly 2 second semester. Is that a problem? Will that look really bad to adcoms? Grades and MCAT are not at all a problem right now.

Take it as easy as you want. Just do well in the classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you take <12 credits you lose your financial aid for that semester.

One of my professors suggested registering for 12 credits, but never attending the class and withdrawaling at the latest possible time. By then (at least at my school) the loans will have already went through. :laugh:

One of my professors suggested registering for 12 credits, but never attending the class and withdrawaling at the latest possible time. By then (at least at my school) the loans will have already went through. :laugh:

Ive alwys wondered about this, could it technically work?

That's exactly what I did. I only needed 9 credits to graduate but didn't want less financial aid, so I registered for 13 and dropped a class after financial aid was processed and kept the aid. Now I'm at a leisurely 10 credits. :cool:

I needed 12 hours so I took the 2 required classes (7 hours)I needed to graduate and then lazy elective type things for the other 2 courses (6 hours).. relax and chill your grades will be better that way