Senior year grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

honeypot

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since you send your AMCAS application at the end of junior year, how much do senior year grades matter?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Since you send your AMCAS application at the end of junior year, how much do senior year grades matter?

thanks

C's and above are usually okay. There are documented cases of acceptances being taken back due to poor academic behavior... But you have to do REAL bad in order for that to happen, probably. Just aim for B-'s if you can I'd say.

And if you ever get waitlisted and want to send in a neat update, some nice grades always help.

I would say "B-"s and above. Some places make you write an essay about "what went wrong" if you get Cs.

Beware of letting anything slip below your usual best effort until you have your acceptance in hand, though. It would suck if you slacked off under the assumption that you'd get in this cycle, only to finish the year without an acceptance and a string of lousy senior year grades. :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't slack off until you've gotten a firm acceptance. What if for some crazy reason you don't get in this cycle :eek: -- you'd have to apply next year with a worse GPA. Not a good scenario.

Once you get your acceptance, read the terms carefully -- many are predicated upon 'satisfactory completion' of your current coursework, and I imagine the definition of 'satisfactory' varies by school.

Don't slack off until you've gotten a firm acceptance. What if for some crazy reason you don't get in this cycle :eek: -- you'd have to apply next year with a worse GPA. Not a good scenario.

Once you get your acceptance, read the terms carefully -- many are predicated upon 'satisfactory completion' of your current coursework, and I imagine the definition of 'satisfactory' varies by school.

This is totally unrelated to the thread but dude..that pigeon looks kinda scary :scared:

Most places have a rule about not getting any grades below a C in remaining coursework. Apply early and try to get things wrapped up before spring.

try to get B's and A's. graduating with onors is cool.

You just need c's. But if you are waitlisted it would probably be better to have A/B to get off that waitlist. If you are already accepted....relax and get C's.:thumbup:

You just need c's. But if you are waitlisted it would probably be better to have A/B to get off that waitlist. If you are already accepted....relax and get C's.:thumbup:

how do you know that you are okay if you have c's?

most acceptances are contingent on you getting at least a C in all your remaining coursework...

how do you know that you are okay if you have c's?
In the acceptance letter it says "to matriculate you need to demonstrate a continued regard for academics"..or something to that effect....which loosley translated (and confirmed by the admiss commt) is equated to getting all C's.

You've worked so hard to have a competitive Med school GPA.

Why would you slack off now?

What do you need it now for? It doesnt go on your diploma.....residencies dont ask you to list it......and certainly your med school classmates dont care. The last point probably applies directly to something you would do.

Technically your grades prob wont matter (at least that's what I told myself), but I still tried to do well and managed to get a 4.0 my final semester. I sent letters of interest to both the schools I was waiting to hear from and included that information and I got in to both of them. I don't know if the grades made a difference, but I know they didn't hurt...

A good first semester of Senior year makes a great reason to update schools with a letter. The funny thing is you've been working so hard (hopefully) that I found it's actually difficult to cut back into a B semester. Now second semester senior year doesn't matter for anything, ever, I hear just don't get too many C's.

A lot of us whose senior year grades have gone down aren't slacking off at all. The combination of all the extracurricular activities that have gathered in all four years plus med school interviews (which force having to miss class, having to do/take makeups, etc) plus honors/thesis projects plus anything that might happen from circumstance (i.e. family or personal problems) can contribute to senior year grades dipping as well. I can definitely say that all four things I mentioned are true with me... I just hope I get in... *anxious*

Interviews are devistating for GPA

Expecialy when flights get canceled/delayed and you end up missing LOTS of class...

luckly i was able to get 3 of my interviews out of the way during christmas vacation. I couldn't imagine trying to do all of them during school.

Im also taking 21 units of the hardest upper division science classes at my school.

Interviews are devistating for GPA

Expecialy when flights get canceled/delayed and you end up missing LOTS of class...

luckly i was able to get 3 of my interviews out of the way during christmas vacation. I couldn't imagine trying to do all of them during school.

Im also taking 21 units of the hardest upper division science classes at my school.

Don't quite know how it happenned (taking 2 upper science clases, and some others), but I had 9 interviews during the semester and it was my best semester GPA yet! My theory is that when you're out of town that often, you become super organized and disciplined (however this current semester...)

What do you need it now for? It doesnt go on your diploma.....residencies dont ask you to list it......and certainly your med school classmates dont care. The last point probably applies directly to something you would do.

Trying to graduate magna cum laude/summa cum laude/phi beta kappa. That'll at least end up on a CV one day.

Trying to graduate magna cum laude/summa cum laude/phi beta kappa. That'll at least end up on a CV one day.

Meh, most schools decide on phi beta kappa before final grades are in. And GPA's are robust enough at this point that a Magna Cum Laude GPA could swallow a few Bs