Senior year Journal Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mastamark

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I am in the process of registering for my final semester before going on to med school in the fall. My pre-med advisor told me I should take journal club. I understand that this will teach me how to read medical journals and prepare me for med school. Does anyone else agree with this advice? I am sure this may help me, but I feel like I would be wasting my time if med schools offer this. If not I will take the advice and register for the spring. I just want to make sure, I already have 18 credit hours and I can't fit anything else in unless it is necessary. Current med students feel free to chime in.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Wait so this is a class you're talking about? What exactly does it teach you?

Probably how to critically read journal articles, etc. Sounds like it could be hard and pointless to me...

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably how to critically read journal articles, etc. Sounds like it could be hard and pointless to me...

That's what I was thinking but I wanted to make sure since I've never heard of that class before. Honestly I think that would be a huge waste of your time. Why add something to your plate you don't have to. You will learn that skill along the way. If we go to the same school I will teach you how to critically appraise journal articles. :D

That's what I was thinking but I wanted to make sure since I've never heard of that class before. Honestly I think that would be a huge waste of your time. Why add something to your plate you don't have to. You will learn that skill along the way. If we go to the same school I will teach you how to critically appraise journal articles. :D

I was wondering that myself. I have read and critiqued journals before in my Psych classes(Psych minor). Was wondering if there was something different to reading medical journals.

I'm gonna hold you to that EEL:thumbup:

I kind of agree with EEL. That's a skill you can pick up on your own in my opinion.