'sensation and perception' in BCPM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

javandane

He's so hot right now
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
wondering if previous applicants have been able to include their largely biologically-based psych courses in their BCPM GPA? the course in question was strictly biology and anatomy, and was cross-listed as a neuroscience course. however, it is catagorized as "psych" on my transcript? what to do?

Members don't see this ad.

my brain and behavior class was crosslisted as a zoology course, so that one i listed as a bcpm. sensation and perception was listed solely as a psych course by my university, but i believe i did end up listing it as a biological sciences course. i figured if they had a question about it, i could explain my reasoning.

getcloned said:
my brain and behavior class was crosslisted as a zoology course, so that one i listed as a bcpm. sensation and perception was listed solely as a psych course by my university, but i believe i did end up listing it as a biological sciences course. i figured if they had a question about it, i could explain my reasoning.

Summary: FAQ: BCPM/A: Course Classification Question
Details: To Whom It May Concern:

I have a question about course classifcation for some graduate courses I have taken. I am in an MPH program, which includes courses in biostatistics and epidemiology. Can I classify the biostatistics courses as "Math" in AMCAS? Some of the epidemiology courses I have taken have been rather math-intensive, and others have been relatively biology-intensive. Can I classify these as "Biology" or "Math"? Thanks.
Sincerely,
KJ

Solution:
Dear Applicant,

Thank you for contacting AMCAS.

The designation of BCPM/A codes depends upon the content of the course, not the course title or department. For example, some psychology courses study the chemistry of the brain. These courses can be designated as chemistry courses, even though they are taught by the Psychology Department. There are many cases where you may be unsure, such as biochemistry and engineering courses. These will be a judgement call on your part.

If you are really having trouble deciding, then we suggest that you contact the professor of the course and ask his/her opinion.

If you have any questions or if we can be of additional assistance, please contact us at [email protected] or (202) 828-0600.

AMCAS
Association of American Medical Colleges
Section for Medical School Application Services
2450 N St., NW
Washington, DC 20037
U.S.A.

General Inquiries: (202) 828-0600
Fax: (202) 828-1120
www.aamc.org/AMCAS

Members don't see this ad :)
many thanks for the help! so i think i'll go ahead and include the course under "bio" and hope this doesn't hold up my application. . . .

From what the letter they sent me sounded like, it seems as though there is a precedent for listing many common psych or engineering courses under the BCPM gpa. Obviously, I can't predict whether or not your application will be held up, but it sounds as though they have allowed many of these kinds of classes to be counted BCPM in the past.