sent LOI, now publication, send update letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marcus

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so last month I got waitlisted at my top choice so I sent them a LOI. I told them how much I loved them and why they were a good fit. Now two days ago my paper got accepted for publication in EMBO. So do I:

1. Send in another letter and if so is it a one liner?
2. Send in the 32 page paper with a note?
3. Send them an email and again a one liner?

OR do I just wait a little so I don't come across as crazy.

FYI: I didn't include the paper in the LOI because it has taken over 6 months for it to be accepted.

Members don't see this ad.

marcus said:
Ok so last month I got waitlisted at my top choice so I sent them a LOI. I told them how much I loved them and why they were a good fit. Now two days ago my paper got accepted for publication in EMBO. So do I:

1. Send in another letter and if so is it a one liner?
2. Send in the 32 page paper with a note?
3. Send them an email and again a one liner?

OR do I just wait a little so I don't come across as crazy.

FYI: I didn't include the paper in the LOI because it has taken over 6 months for it to be accepted.

4. Send in the letter with a casual restatement of the abstract.

That is, don't send a one line letter saying "I got published". Send a fairly long (2-3 paragraph) letter saying what your publication is about.

edit: and tell them when and in what journal it will be published.

Send them another letter. Consider yourself lucky that you actually have something to update them about. I would make sure that you have two or three weeks between letters. I don't have any reason why, no anecdotal information, but it just seems like that would show interest without harrassing everyone. Good luck and congratulations on getting published!

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree, give 'em the info! I agree with sending them a letter that is a couple paragraphs long and includes the where and when it is being published and what it is about (the abstract or whatever.) congrats!

Send another letter updating them of everything, focusing on your publication and remind them of your intention to attend that school if they accept you.