Sent my deposit today :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

La Miraflorina

Dental Diva
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I sent in my deposit today for Maryland!! It's funny, a few days after Dec 1st, I was sure I'd be second-guessing and debating with myself until the last possible second. But I sent everything in calmly... without any hesitation.

Has anyone else finalized their plans yet? How calm are you?

Have you sent the "no thank you" letters to the other schools? I'm dreading that. I really liked all the schools I visited and even though I was calm and confident with my decision today, it was a very hard decision. How much detail are you going to give in your letters? I mean, are you going to write, "thank you very much for the offer but I've decided to attend another school.. blah blah" or are you writing which school you'll be going to and why?

I tried to write a letter last night... a very short one... and it just felt wrong. I mean, I felt like I should give them more than just a "thanks but no thanks" line, ya know?

argh.

Members don't see this ad.

La Miraflorina said:
I sent in my deposit today for Maryland!! It's funny, a few days after Dec 1st, I was sure I'd be second-guessing and debating with myself until the last possible second. But I sent everything in calmly... without any hesitation.

Have you sent the "no thank you" letters to the other schools? I'm dreading that. I really liked all the schools I visited and even though I was calm and confident with my decision today, it was a very hard decision. How much detail are you going to give in your letters? I mean, are you going to write, "thank you very much for the offer but I've decided to attend another school.. blah blah" or are you writing which school you'll be going to and why?

I tried to write a letter last night... a very short one... and it just felt wrong. I mean, I felt like I should give them more than just a "thanks but no thanks" line, ya know?

argh.

Congrats on finalizing your decision! :) :) Can you believe we've made it through this entire process?!?! Formulating our goals, reviewing orgo for the DAT, suit-shopping for interviews...damn!!! :D You must be thrilled!

I just sent my deposit to Buffalo and will do the same for Penn soon so I can buy some time to figure out finances and the like....

As for the letters, I was planning on waiting until both schools receive and cash my deposit checks (otherwise, I could just feel some sort of disaster stirring), but then I'll be writing those rather cold "thanks but no thanks" letters.

I don't think we really have to specify which school we're choosing; they just want to know that your space is available! Maybe just a "I truly appreciate your time and generosity in offering me a space.....I have selected another school for my dental education...blabbity blah blah"

Congratulations ladies. Penn cashed my deposit check last week. :D :D Yes I know but they needed it in before Dec 21st. :laugh: I just sent a short letter to my other schools, thanking them for the opportunity. Only one admissions person asked me where I was going (because I was on the phone with her)and she wished me luck. It was quite awkward though. I'm not sure about what reasons you should add for choosing not to attend. Maybe someone else here can help.
Congratulations again. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
wait deadline is jan 16th, why did they tell u dec 21?

I'm sure it's the 16th of January. I haven't sent mine in yet but will next week.

Audio said:
I'm sure it's the 16th of January. I haven't sent mine in yet but will next week.

i think recipients of the dean's scholarship must send it in by the dec 21st date.

r0entgen said:
i think recipients of the dean's scholarship must send it in by the dec 21st date.
Yes. You're right.

I think I might go to Philly next week and check out the school one last time before I send my check in.

ooooooo...duh? is a smarty pants. Coulda fooled me :D

BigRedDentist said:
I think I might go to Philly next week and check out the school one last time before I send my check in.

That's exactly what I did a few weeks ago, and it was great to see it again (without the pressure of presenting myself in an interview). It's also good to bring someone with you...parent, spouse, homeless guy....just to get a new perspective. Try to get in the SimLab - if you're there at the right time, the instructor might let you try it out!!! :D SO fun!

I'mFillingFine said:
... homeless guy....!

Did you practice on him? Or at least buy him a sandwich?

Did you email Corky or just show up?

I'mFillingFine said:
That's exactly what I did a few weeks ago, and it was great to see it again (without the pressure of presenting myself in an interview). It's also good to bring someone with you...parent, spouse, homeless guy....just to get a new perspective. Try to get in the SimLab - if you're there at the right time, the instructor might let you try it out!!! :D SO fun!

So, how'd you like Penn the second time around?

BigRedDentist said:
Did you practice on him? Or at least buy him a sandwich?

Did you email Corky or just show up?

1. A little of A, a little of B ;)

2. I called Corky beforehand, but more to ask about my chances of receiving a dean's scholarship than letting her know I was coming. :) But what was amazing was that I did mention which day I'd be there (around a week or so in advance) and when I arrived with my parents, the secretary said Corky was "expecting us" and she ushered us in and we all had a pretty long chat! I was so impressed that they all remembered, especially since I hadn't really made an appointment. We walked around on our own and snuck into all the clinics, classrooms, and tried out DentSim (my dad was mad because he failed the first time ;) Though he eventually pulled an 85. That s*** is HARD!) Everyone we met was really friendly and didn't seem to mind that we were ambling about. Just wear something professional and look like you're supposed to be there.

audio said:
So, how'd you like Penn the second time around?

I loved it! Great people, facilities...I felt like I'd really belong. However, I also fell in love with Buffalo (I'll be taking a second look in mid-January), and didn't find ENOUGH at penn to warrant the extra 100K, especially after talking to lots of people over on the Dental forum about paying everything back and such. Heard anything from UB yet? Get on their ass about it! I go to a state school, and they need lots of ass-kicking to get anything done :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I'mFillingFine said:
1. A little of A, a little of B ;)

2. I called Corky beforehand, but more to ask about my chances of receiving a dean's scholarship than letting her know I was coming. :) But what was amazing was that I did mention which day I'd be there (around a week or so in advance) and when I arrived with my parents, the secretary said Corky was "expecting us" and she ushered us in and we all had a pretty long chat! I was so impressed that they all remembered, especially since I hadn't really made an appointment. We walked around on our own and snuck into all the clinics, classrooms, and tried out DentSim (my dad was mad because he failed the first time ;) Though he eventually pulled an 85. That s*** is HARD!) Everyone we met was really friendly and didn't seem to mind that we were ambling about. Just wear something professional and look like you're supposed to be there.

I loved it! Great people, facilities...I felt like I'd really belong. However, I also fell in love with Buffalo (I'll be taking a second look in mid-January), and didn't find ENOUGH at penn to warrant the extra 100K, especially after talking to lots of people over on the Dental forum about paying everything back and such. Heard anything from UB yet? Get on their ass about it! I go to a state school, and they need lots of ass-kicking to get anything done :D

Believe me, I'm trying! The story I'm getting now is that my file hasn't even been reviewed yet because they have so many applications and Barbara promised that she'll make sure the committee reviews it when they come back next week. So I'll call them then. I really hope they read my file and say....what the hell, how could we let this dude slip through the cracks :D

One thing I do have to say though is that the people at the Buffalo admissions office are really really nice and patient. I really give them credit!

I'mFillingFine said:
I loved it! Great people, facilities...I felt like I'd really belong. However, I also fell in love with Buffalo (I'll be taking a second look in mid-January), and didn't find ENOUGH at penn to warrant the extra 100K, especially after talking to lots of people over on the Dental forum about paying everything back and such.

You should definatly go to Penn but I had the opposite experience with Buffalo (Stony Brook was much nicer). I would pay 200k more to go to Penn over Buffalo. Also, I already go to school in up-state New York so there is no way I would voluntarily spend another 4 years here.

BigRedDentist said:
You should definatly go to Penn but I had the opposite experience with Buffalo (Stony Brook was much nicer). I would pay 200k more to go to Penn over Buffalo. Also, I already go to school in up-state New York so there is no way I would voluntarily spend another 4 years here.

Totally understandable! Was it just the snow that makes you eager to leave? I'm not too upset about the white stuff; I'm a New England girl and winter is definitely my favorite season!

I'mFillingFine said:
Totally understandable! Was it just the snow that makes you eager to leave? I'm not too upset about the white stuff; I'm a New England girl and winter is definitely my favorite season!

B-U-F-F-A-L-Oooooooooooooooo!

sent my deposite in 2 weeks ago.

Union...damn thats my home town.

Definatly the white stuff sucks but just the crap they pulled with the essay and definining professionalism/empathy during the interview turned me off. And the wings during lunch...

BigRedDentist said:
Union...damn thats my home town.

Definatly the white stuff sucks but just the crap they pulled with the essay and definining professionalism/empathy during the interview turned me off. And the wings during lunch...

Ehhh the essay was not bad at all. I wrote 3/4 of a page and was fine. Also, I thought the food was good.

La Miraflorina said:

argh.
Welcome to Maryland ^_^ I'll see you in class soon.

Richnator said:
Welcome to Maryland ^_^ I'll see you in class soon.
Richnator and La Mira Congrats to ya!!!! I will also be attending UMD in the fall. Where do you guys live rite now? what are you thinking about housing options? Im in the metro D.C area...looking around the baltimore area in search of a place...

congrats guys.. now relax.. and get off sdn and make room for the new cycle lol

ENJOY IT! B4 school starts

amberw said:
Richnator and La Mira Congrats to ya!!!! I will also be attending UMD in the fall. Where do you guys live rite now? what are you thinking about housing options? Im in the metro D.C area...looking around the baltimore area in search of a place...

congrats to u too! just curious, when was ur interview?

amberw said:
I live in NY right now. I already have a house in Maryland though, since my sister is a dental student there. So, one less worry for me. I am just chilling until dental school though. Saving those brain cells ^_^

Take care,
Rich

I did it. I have sent it in and what a load off of my back. To make the decision is one thing, but to actually fill out the forms and send your deposit in is another. I am very excited. Go Pitt!

Richnator said:
I live in NY right now. I already have a house in Maryland though, since my sister is a dental student there. So, one less worry for me. I am just chilling until dental school though. Saving those brain cells ^_^

Take care,
Rich
What year is your sis? I may know her...

TiggerJSA said:
What year is your sis? I may know her...
Hiya,
She is first year, Belinda. I have an uncle there too, his name is Kyong. I think you may know him. He is in periodontics.

See you next year,
Rich