Seperate Personal Statement For Prelim Medicine Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Llenroc

Bandidos Motorcycle Club
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've gotten 6 interviews so far for PM&R, but none for Preliminary Medicine or Transitional years. :(

I wonder if this has to do with my personal statement, which talks mainly about how I became interested in PM&R. Should I have written a separate one for the medicine programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Prelims are pretty competitive and I think they issue invites later than the categ's

The career/residency advisor at our school recommends a separate PS for transitional or prelim programs.

The career/residency advisor at our school recommends a separate PS for transitional or prelim programs.

I think that goes against conventional wisdom (and advice I've seen given here by PDs).

Why write a PS for a TY or Prelim Med year? You are not applying to these programs as categorical positions and they KNOW you are using the position to satisfy prereqs for an advanced match position.

Sorry, forgot to answer your most urgent question. I agree with Dr. Cox. Just get your original PS, and add another paragraph of about two to three sentences saying something like, " AAA hospital's preliminary medicine program will undoubtedly equip me with the necessary skills to further my career in ..."

good luck!:luck:

I used my ophtho personal statement for internship programs, both Prelim Medicine and Transitional year.

Have had absolutely no problems getting interviews. I really don't think it matters. I'd brush up on refining your interviewing skills instead!

G'luck.