Sept 1st Deadline for SF Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EyeMD116

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Do you guys know if Sept 1st is the strict deadline to have your SF Match application 100% complete? I will be entering 4th year this July and plan on doing an away rotation that will extend into September. There is an attending I will be working with (at that away) whom I want to get a letter from, but I'm unsure if I can get that letter before Sept 1. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

Do you guys know if Sept 1st is the strict deadline to have your SF Match application 100% complete? I will be entering 4th year this July and plan on doing an away rotation that will extend into September. There is an attending I will be working with (at that away) whom I want to get a letter from, but I'm unsure if I can get that letter before Sept 1. Thoughts?

The target date is NOT a firm deadline. You can submit after, but some programs may not look at applications received after a certain date. However, that being said...many programs realize the variability in processing time for the SF Match and thus are a little flexible with their own personal deadlines.

Many schools will accept additional LORs sent directly to the department, and you can also bring extra letters on interviews with you. If your rotation extends into September, depending on the letter writer you might not get the recommendation until October. I wouldn't hold up the rest of your application waiting for this.

Another thing to keep in mind is that September 1 is the distribution date; they warn you that it can take up to three weeks to process your application (although it only took a couple of days for mine) so if you want it to actually go out that day then you need to have it submitted in August.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the comments Race and DK. But Race, how do you find out when they process your application and when they send it out? I dont think there was a spot or an option like that when I applied....

If you log into the SF match website, they should have uploaded your documents on their website, in addition to sending an email saying that your application is complete and ready for programs to review. I don't think any programs look at their applications until October though, so I wouldn't worry for those of you out there who are getting things in still.

Some programs have deadlines on 9/10, but then again, whether this is a strict rigid deadline is dependent on the program. LORs are usually the main limiting factor in getting an app in and since we have no control over that, usually program directors understand that and may be a bit lenient. As always, though, getting everything quickly is always better!