September MCAT/October Release Too Late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swollcat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello everyone,

Having taken the old MCAT and receiving a startlingly low score, I am now preparing to take the new mcat with hopes of applying this upcoming cycle (beginning june 1st 2015). Because classes don't end until June, I believe it will be ideal to give myself at least 2 months of full time prep. For this reason, im looking at taking the MCAT in early september for an october release.

is this too late? I ask this because I have absolutely no intention on applying to any school besides maybe 1 with what I have since im certain I will get autoscreened with my old mcat alone. A friend of mine who actually did a masters program (finished with a 3.9ish GPA) wasn't even offered a DO interview at the same school with a 30MCAT.

an alternative would be to start studying hard now so that I can take the MCAT in August if applying by late September is really that much more advantageous than applying in October?

Thank you for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
A lot hinges on your score really. If you bust out a percentile equivalent to a 28 MCAT and your GPA is above a 3.4, then you should be fine with a September MCAT. However, if you have lower than a 3.3 GPA and 26 MCAT percentile on the new exam, then you will struggle if you send out in September.

Sending out on August is far more advantageous then sending out in October. If that score is below a percentile equivalent to a 24, then you need to bow out of this cycle. There are a lot of dynamics to be accounted for when you make this decision.

Reactions: 1 users
When you say send out, are you referring to submitting for verification and everything that entails or just updating my MCAT and finally getting my app in front of eye balls?. Thank you for your input btw

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you submit the applications and then send in the MCAT scores later? I was wondering whether to miss this cycle because I haven't taken the MCAT yet, but I don't want to lose the couple of years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not too late. The DO cycle is longer than MD.

hello everyone,

Having taken the old MCAT and receiving a startlingly low score, I am now preparing to take the new mcat with hopes of applying this upcoming cycle (beginning june 1st 2015). Because classes don't end until June, I believe it will be ideal to give myself at least 2 months of full time prep. For this reason, im looking at taking the MCAT in early september for an october release.

is this too late? I ask this because I have absolutely no intention on applying to any school besides maybe 1 with what I have since im certain I will get autoscreened with my old mcat alone. A friend of mine who actually did a masters program (finished with a 3.9ish GPA) wasn't even offered a DO interview at the same school with a 23 MCAT.

an alternative would be to start studying hard now so that I can take the MCAT in August if applying by late September is really that much more advantageous than applying in October?

Thank you for your input.

When you say send out, are you referring to submitting for verification and everything that entails or just updating my MCAT and finally getting my app in front of eye balls?. Thank you for your input btw

Referring to updating your application in October with your new MCAT score (the one taken in September). For instance, if you have a 3.2 GPA/24 MCAT your best bet is sending out your app before August (this would mean receiving your MCAT score in the month of August with an already verified application). However, if you have a 3.6 GPA/ 27 MCAT you would be fine sending out before October (this would mean receiving your MCAT score in October with an already verified application).

I really think a graph should be made on SDN showing what stats and what dates an application should be sent out (maybe with a LizzyM score).

Agree with Goro. As long as your scores are fine you can do it. I retook in September and submitted my application as soon as I saw my score in October. I has secondaries already done and submitted immediately on verification, which was early November. It probably wasn't the smartest move, but I got interviews every DO school I applied (small sample size of 4), but only attended 2 of them, didn't attend the others after my acceptance at my second choice and waitlist at my top choice. So if your score is above the schools you're applying to's average apply. If not wait till next cycle.

Reactions: 1 user

I'm sort of in the same boat... I have already applied to both MD and DO and have started receiving secondary's. I took my MCAT June 20th and the preliminary percentile is way lower than I expected based off my practice test results, 31-41% total. Retaking in August or September certainly removes me from MD contention, I'm sure.

Should I still submit my DO secondary apps with this MCAT score or should I wait to retake in August or September until I submit?
I know earlier is better, but I'm afraid my MCAT final score will be too low regardless for DO schools.

A 31-41%ile is close to lethal for most DO schools, so do NOT send in apps (except for maybe a "throwaway" school to get verified) until you've taking the mCAT.

Also, do not take the MCAT unless you're fully ready. You need to fix some deficits. If you have test-taking anxiety, for example, that can be fixed by seeing your school's counseling and learning centers.

I'm sort of in the same boat... I have already applied to both MD and DO and have started receiving secondary's. I took my MCAT June 20th and the preliminary percentile is way lower than I expected based off my practice test results, 31-41% total. Retaking in August or September certainly removes me from MD contention, I'm sure.

Should I still submit my DO secondary apps with this MCAT score or should I wait to retake in August or September until I submit?
I know earlier is better, but I'm afraid my MCAT final score will be too low regardless for DO schools.

My friends got in with a below avg gpa but did well on the mcat with a 27 plus mcat. Also they had amazing extracirc. But key thing is if you have one thing deficient make sure the other (gpa or mcat) is stellar for a later application. My friends applied in October last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was wondering this same thing. I have a 3.7 GPA (for AACOMAS with grade replacement), took the MCAT June 19th. Preliminary percentiles were:

C/P: 40%-55%
CARS: 53%-68%
Bio: 62%-77%
Psych: 50%-65%
Overall: 48%-58%

Curious if I should risk taking an August or September MCAT again or just submit with what I have and see what happens. My app is all ready to go, I just need to hit submit. My only anxiety comes from taking it in August or September and actually doing worse... I don't think that would happen but it's always a possibility.

for what's it's worth I have above average ECs and am a non-traditional student, which is why i'm mostly interested in DO schools.

I was wondering this same thing. I have a 3.7 GPA (for AACOMAS with grade replacement), took the MCAT June 19th. Preliminary percentiles were:

C/P: 40%-55%
CARS: 53%-68%
Bio: 62%-77%
Psych: 50%-65%
Overall: 48%-58%

Curious if I should risk taking an August or September MCAT again or just submit with what I have and see what happens. My app is all ready to go, I just need to hit submit. My only anxiety comes from taking it in August or September and actually doing worse... I don't think that would happen but it's always a possibility.

for what's it's worth I have above average ECs and am a non-traditional student, which is why i'm mostly interested in DO schools.

I think you got a 499 with those percentiles. You might have to retake depending on the schools youre aiming for. New schools you're good so don't. Older more established you probably should

A 31-41%ile is close to lethal for most DO schools, so do NOT send in apps (except for maybe a "throwaway" school to get verified) until you've taking the mCAT.

Also, do not take the MCAT unless you're fully ready. You need to fix some deficits. If you have test-taking anxiety, for example, that can be fixed by seeing your school's counseling and learning centers.

Would retaking the MCAT in early September be too late to apply for this cycle?