September MCAT? Primary/Secondary Confusion?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rajpurohitdhruv

rampage_monkey
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, first of all thank you for reading this post. I searched before blindly posting, but couldn't find the exact information I needed, so I need your help gang.
So I took the MCAT on July 6th, and did not do well (not enough to get into DO school), I hadn't studied the right away and freaked at looking at the mighty beast. It went downhill. That's history. I am retaking my MCAT on September 11,2012. This will be a lot better than first one. I submitted my AACOMAS in August and it says everything has been sent out to the schools I listed. (about 10-12). I also filled TMDSAS for TCOM and Texas MD schools. My main question is how do DO schools go about doing their secondaries if my MCAT score comes back around October 12. Do I have to fill them out before hand, I tried, but most schools do it after Interview and primary+mcat material. My concern is about my application just laying there until October 15 and not seeing daylight and hopefully not being tossed in the garbage. I already have a couple of letters (One from MD and one from Professor) on interfolio. I will get one from a DO physician in a month and 2-3 really good ones from Science Professors on Interfolio. Is that the proper procedure time wise? Please give your suggestions and honest opinions. As for saying its late and I won't get in, please don't, I'm willing to take my chances and hopefully it works for me in the end. I really do appreciate your help folks! :D

I have a 3.85 cum GPA
3.7 SGPA.
shadow experience (DO + MD), lots of volunteer work (community, hospital), extracurricular activities, honor club awards and recognition (college), strong PS, amazing LOR's.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, first of all thank you for reading this post. I searched before blindly posting, but couldn't find the exact information I needed, so I need your help gang.
So I took the MCAT on July 6th, and did not do well (not enough to get into DO school), I hadn't studied the right away and freaked at looking at the mighty beast. It went downhill. That's history. I am retaking my MCAT on September 11,2012. This will be a lot better than first one. I submitted my AACOMAS in August and it says everything has been sent out to the schools I listed. (about 10-12). I also filled TMDSAS for TCOM and Texas MD schools. My main question is how do DO schools go about doing their secondaries if my MCAT score comes back around October 12. Do I have to fill them out before hand, I tried, but most schools do it after Interview and primary+mcat material. My concern is about my application just laying there until October 15 and not seeing daylight and hopefully not being tossed in the garbage. I already have a couple of letters (One from MD and one from Professor) on interfolio. I will get one from a DO physician in a month and 2-3 really good ones from Science Professors on Interfolio. Is that the proper procedure time wise? Please give your suggestions and honest opinions. As for saying its late and I won't get in, please don't, I'm willing to take my chances and hopefully it works for me in the end. I really do appreciate your help folks! :D

I have a 3.85 cum GPA
3.7 SGPA.
shadow experience (DO + MD), lots of volunteer work (community, hospital), extracurricular activities, honor club awards and recognition (college), strong PS, amazing LOR's.

huh?! the bolded part along with some of the other sentences are very confusing as they make no sense. Before your primary was submitted, did you indicate on it that you are retaking your MCAT? If you did, then most schools will wait until your new score. The disadvantage to this is that you are not going to be considered for an interview until after the score gets released, which is bit late in the cycle.
How low was your first MCAT? Most schools pre-screen before they send you a secondary. Your GPA is excellent so if your first score was at least a 25 , you should get most secondaries. You can not fill out secondaries unless the school invites you to do so, but you can pre-write them as the essay prompts have already been posted on SDN. This will allow you to have a fast turn around time.

Considering your amazing GPA, I am not going to tell you that you don't have a shot this cycle. As long as you do average on MCAT and turn everything in- secondaries, LORs- you should be fine.

Thanks for your reply. Your supply was sufficient was for the bolded part. Sorry about the mix up. I did indicate on TMDSAS and AACOMAS that i will be taking my mcat sept 11.