September MCATers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

isuntharam

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, just thought i'd have a thread start for those of us taking the mcat on september 2008. Post away!!!

Members don't see this ad.

No worries; an official thread will be posted in the weeks coming up to the actual test date.. so watch out for that.

Best of luck, you guys have plenty of time but make sure to make the most use of it!

I was just wondering if the Sept MCAT is to late for this application cycle? I plan to take it in July. But if I don't make the score I want on the practice exams, i may have to wait untill September. Are you taking the test for this cycle or for the 2010 entering class?

I was just wondering if the Sept MCAT is to late for this application cycle? I plan to take it in July. But if I don't make the score I want on the practice exams, i may have to wait untill September. Are you taking the test for this cycle or for the 2010 entering class?

A september MCAT is very late in the cycle. If you have a very solid application otherwise, and you manage to finish all of your secondaries as soon as you possibly can you might have a shot...but you will always be much, much better off if you apply early in the year.

Members don't see this ad :)
<- sept 13th I believe .. but I may push it back depending how my studying goes over this summer. I'm applying for the entering class of 2010 so I got some time :cool:

A september MCAT is very late in the cycle. If you have a very solid application otherwise, and you manage to finish all of your secondaries as soon as you possibly can you might have a shot...but you will always be much, much better off if you apply early in the year.

What do you think of an August MCAT for someone with a 3.94 GPA with lots of research (publications, posters)? I am applying MSTP. Does that affect things?

Yeah, I'm joining the September group...didn't feel ready for earlier test date.

That's a very good reason to take it in September.

Above all other things, you should only take the MCAT when you feel you are ready for it. That's why I took mine in September too. :)

Hi Vihsadas,
I never got to thank you for all the helpful posts on the MCAT forum! :thumbup:
Yeah, I thought it would be better to take this exam when I felt ready even if it means having to send in late secondaries or worst-case scenario, just skipping this application cycle...best of luck to you, me, and all the 'late MCAT' folks! :luck: :)

Hi Vihsadas,
I never got to thank you for all the helpful posts on the MCAT forum! :thumbup:
Yeah, I thought it would be better to take this exam when I felt ready even if it means having to send in late secondaries or worst-case scenario, just skipping this application cycle...best of luck to you, me, and all the 'late MCAT' folks! :luck: :)

I totally agree with you. There is nothing wrong with taking an extra year to make your application as competitive as possible. I probably could have taken the MCAT after one month and scored a 33-34 on it, but my application wouldn't be anywhere near as competitive as it is now. Even though last year was expectedly fruitless for me, I've talked personally to a number of schools and I think my prospects will be much better this year depending, of course, on the competition!

So what study methods are you guys using? I'm using the Gold Standard book, since it seemed to have a pretty good overview of the science material. Seeing that I threw out/lost all of my old notes, thought it would be a good idea to have a comprehensive reference... I should be done with review of Bio this week and moving on to Organic.

I have been using the Gold Standard book along with EK Audio Osmosis the last couple weeks. I've ordered some more EK stuff and will be starting Kaplan classroom course next Wednesday.

I just finished sophomore year and decided to try to get the MCAT done this September by basically studying all summer. If anyone has some suggestions on materials I should use to augment the Kaplan Course i would very much appreciate!

Hi to all,

Yeah I'm a September 13 tester and currently getting ready for my Kaplan class starting June 7. So I'm thinking, should I wait (first time taking MCAT) since it's so late or apply still having a change at D.O schools?:confused:

Thanks
Ericka:oops:

So what study methods are you guys using? I'm using the Gold Standard book, since it seemed to have a pretty good overview of the science material. Seeing that I threw out/lost all of my old notes, thought it would be a good idea to have a comprehensive reference... I should be done with review of Bio this week and moving on to Organic.

I am using the Kaplan books for content review. I'm about half way through physics, 1/3rd bio, chem and Ochem.... Cant wait to take a full length and see what needs more work.....