MD & DO Serious advice on my chances!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bracemed

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, hope you’re all doing well and willing to help me get some clarity or insight.

I’m currently on a semester off due to some issues with my job that required me to take the semester off. I’m planning on getting back to school and completing my undergrad degree in health sciences and getting ready to apply for med school. The whole process in between there as well. My main concern is that I didn’t always have this desire to pursue a career in the medical field. Not just any field of course, the Physician field in specific. When I completed my associates degree at my state college I honestly was not the person I am today. I didn’t know what I wanted to do and I wasn’t really into school. However I still maintained an “ok” GPA of 3.1. However, I withdrew from a few courses as during that time. When I started at the university in my area, I was pursuing something “quick/easy” but I wasn’t really into it at all. That’s when I decided to withdraw from those classes. It struck a lot of people when I did it because I had all A’s in those classes... It was a tough decision to make but I made it for my mental peace, and knowing it was a decision that would propel me to stop settling. I wanted to pursue something I really felt the desire to do. Something I felt like I could wake up every morning knowing I wouldn’t be miserable. It isn’t about the money or the title. It’s really about me doing something that would allow me to help others in a field that really interests me and pushes me to know more and more. In total, have 13 W’s on my transcript.. I know that’s a horrible look but none of them are from prerequisite courses.

I know how hard it would be for me to even make it work. However, I really mean it when I say that I want this. At my current job at a medical practice, I’ve been able to interact with many Physicians that have truly made me want to pursue this even more.

My question is, is this something that I can overcome by working hard at my GPA and doing well on the MCAT and adding a lot of volunteer/shadow hours?

Members don't see this ad.

Replies please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
So how far are you in your degree work?
What is your cGPA and your sGPA?
Have you started working on your ECs? Shadowing, clinical experiences, nonclinical work with the unserved and underserved etc are included in this area. While the Ws will be noted, it’s actually your overall application that will be considered. As many ADCOMS on here State, there are schools that reward reinvention. You have to prove to the members of the committee that the you of now is not the you of the past. How do you know you want to be a doctor? How do you know that you want to spend the next 35-40 years working with the sick and injured and dying? Why medicine?

You certainly can turn this around but you do have work to do. Try to get some volunteering in at a hospital or hospice or some clinic and see if you really want to be a doctor. Good luck!