serious advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wannabe_Dr

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I want to be a doctor, a psychiatrist actually, but I feel like a lot of the classes in med school (like hemotology and other random courses) are not too interesting. Is this a bad thing? Do you guys find courses not interesting? Any opinions would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I think the best advice I can give you is to follow around a COUPLE of different doctors, in different specialties that you are already interested in.

You see, THAT is what you'll be choosing to do for the rest of your life. Medical school is a hurdle, not an endpoint. I can promise you that NOBODY found everything learned in medical school interesting, or relevent.

The "pretty" sure about being a doctor; that's something that's more worrisome than not being interested in hematology. Because you need that strong interest to carry you through the boring stuff

if your main focus is psychiatry and not really medicine per se, you might consider either PA or NP programs. There's big a big decline in the number of MD psychiatrists lately as their roles have focused more and more on solely managing the pharmeceutical aspects of patient care in the context of a team aspect. The big decline, though, that I'm speaking of is because there is has been a rise in psychiatric nurse practioners and PA's who can prescribe and perform the same jobs more efficiently for HMO's.

just a thought.

for more on my experiences with psychiatry, see my post under "depression / manic depression."

I found lots of basic science classes to be really really really boring. And painful. But clinics is so much more fun and more interesting. In fact, the boring stuff that you learn in basic sciences becomes a lot more interesting in clinics. So, just wade through basic sciences and be very glad when its over!