Aug 17, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Creative ideas to get like ~$500/month. What have you guys done? I'm not talking about your typical scribing / emt / phlebotomy sorts of gigs which would require you to commit x hours per week. Thanks!

NotASerialKiller

2+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Do you mean per week, or are you actually asking how we would make 50 bucks in a pinch?

OP
imtotallynotbradpitt
Aug 17, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
in a pinch. that could perhaps be furthered into 500/month if one wants to continue. sorry for not being clear

NotASerialKiller

2+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2015
Status
Medical Student
in a pinch. that could perhaps be furthered into 500/month if one wants to continue. sorry for not being clear
It was clear, just a strange question. If you're comfortable with high school level material that sounds like something you could do tutoring chemistry/math/physics. Some people want just a couple hours especially before the semester, others turn into more long-term work. Or pawn your printer?

p0gono

2+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Sign up with a temp job agency, they have gigs for conferences and such. Or check out craigslist for gigs. Also TASKRABBIT.

Last edited:
May 25, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Uber can be a good option, but careful with the insurance, you're exposing yourself to some serious un-covered liability. As someone with major future earning potential, you're an ideal target for a PI lawyer.

Take a look at labor-ready, etc. If you're decently handy, you can find stuff to do. Craigslist too. Lots of little odd jobs people need done.

Tutoring is an obvious option.

Reactions: Gurby

tenblackalps

2+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2014
Status
Medical Student
I dabbled in selling sports apparel on ebay for awhile. For a period I could consistently make $25 per shirt but I would only sell like 10 a month so I usually hit $250 a month. Eventually I was shut down by ebay for being an unauthorized retailer in the brand I was almost exclusively dealing in, but not before I made about 2.5k :)

Last edited:
May 25, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
If you can do mechanical work, and know what to look for, fixing broken cars/motorcycles can be a good option, though you need some capital to work with.

OP
imtotallynotbradpitt
Aug 17, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
What do you guys think about charging $10/hour on campus to help students with mock interviews ( for med school, research position, leadership positions). This could be a bad idea because it could turn out to be the blind leading the blind :eek:

p0gono

2+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2015
Status
What do you guys think about charging $10/hour on campus to help students with mock interviews ( for med school, research position, leadership positions). This could be a bad idea because it could turn out to be the blind leading the blind :eek:
I feel like you have to get in before you can charge for that. Or let the market decide.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
In dead seriousness, become a sperm donor, or sell blood/plasma.

Creative ideas to get like ~$500/month. What have you guys done? I'm not talking about your typical scribing / emt / phlebotomy sorts of gigs which would require you to commit x hours per week. Thanks!

OP
imtotallynotbradpitt
Aug 17, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
In dead seriousness, become a sperm donor, or sell blood/plasma.
Basic Requirements for CCB Donors
  • Must be at least 5'9" or taller
  • Between 19-38 years old
  • Attending a 4-year University or holding a Bachelor's or Advanced Degree
  • Must be in good health
  • Legally allowed to work in the US
Wow, you have to be really tall. I have a moral dilemma of being someone's biological father. Maybe blood/plasma is better..

Reactions: kawaiipupae

p0gono

2+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2015
Status
Basic Requirements for CCB Donors
  • Must be at least 5'9" or taller
  • Between 19-38 years old
  • Attending a 4-year University or holding a Bachelor's or Advanced Degree
  • Must be in good health
  • Legally allowed to work in the US
Wow, you have to be really tall. I have a moral dilemma of being someone's biological father. Maybe blood/plasma is better..
Task rabbit has alllll kinds of stuff, even jobs that don't require sacrificing bodily fluids.

Rainbow Zebra

Long, hard journey
2+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2015
GO BLUE!
Status
EBAY!! Get rid of all that junk you have accumulated. Sold my old Gameboys from middle school with the games last year for $50!! People like all that "vintage" tech stuff.

Lawper

cat in a box
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Jun 17, 2014
space chat

Mad Jack

Critically Caring
5+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2013
4th Dimension
Oh, you could do volunteer research studies, if no one has mentioned that yet.

I earned like, 500 bucks and all the free nicotine patches I wanted through a stop smoking research program. I wasn't even obligated to stop smoking, they just wanted to see how effective the patches were.

Reactions: Doudline
May 25, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Plasma/Platelets can be a good option. A high school friend does that for beer money in Washington. Basically they pay him to study and eat free snacks while having IV's. I swear the kid is actually a hobo, he looks more and more like it every year.

Mar 8, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Tutoring, I could make $50 in an hour and a half.

OP
imtotallynotbradpitt
Aug 17, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Plasma/Platelets can be a good option. A high school friend does that for beer money in Washington. Basically they pay him to study and eat free snacks while having IV's. I swear the kid is actually a hobo, he looks more and more like it every year.
Ah, wait I forgot - I'm an avid weightlifter. Donating blood will seriously kill my gainz, don't know about platelets.

The_Bird

OvO
Bronze Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2011
Status
Medical Student
I've seen some Craig's List ads in my area for tutoring where rich parents are offering like $120 per session to tutor their precious darling.

Cotterpin

Gluconeogenesis Evangelion
2+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2015
Status
Medical Student
If you were Brad Pitt (which you are totally not) you could probably do some commercials or a Playgirl spread or similar.

Mad Jack

Critically Caring
5+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2013
4th Dimension
If you were Brad Pitt (which you are totally not) you could probably do some commercials or a Playgirl spread or similar.
If you were Brad Pitt you could just find a sugar momma and be done with all this nonsense of scrounging for cash.

Cpt Ahab

2+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2015
an event horizon
Status
Pre-Medical
If you were Brad Pitt you could just find a sugar momma and be done with all this nonsense of scrounging for cash.
Once upon a time Brad Pitt was just a lowly waiter in Hollywood trying to catch a break. One night, he went home with a very beautiful woman. When they arrived at their house they did their thing.. until f'n Mike Tyson showed up. Yeah, Mike Tyson's ex-wife took Brad Pitt home.

Tyson didn't do anything to Pitt - he let him go.

Reactions: Mad Jack

md-2020

The Immaculate Catch
2+ Year Member
Jun 29, 2015
Status
Medical Student
If you did really well on the SAT/ACT, do private tutoring.

The better your resume, the higher you can charge people, who'll still hire you. I did between $50-100/hr, don't go work for a company they'll rip you off.

childofmercy

Soli Deo Gloria
Jun 9, 2014
Got a cabin in Manolo
Status
Volunteer as a research subject. (Healthy or allergic to certain things etc). Many don't require you take any new drugs or anything, some want blood/bone marrow etc. I tend to make $25-$1500/study, depending on what they need. Has really helped pay for rent :)

steelersfan1243

5+ Year Member
May 9, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Volunteer as a research subject. (Healthy or allergic to certain things etc). Many don't require you take any new drugs or anything, some want blood/bone marrow etc. I tend to make $25-$1500/study, depending on what they need. Has really helped pay for rent :)
What kind of studies do you participate in? Im living near the NIH and would love to make some money doing this. But most I found require a yearly commitment for 12 years.....

Easonred57

"Excellent."
Aug 6, 2013
In the mouse house
Status
Pre-Medical
Find the research study department at your nearest university. I once participated in a study that paid $50-$500 per session over 2 years