SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

serious issue.."how good are you at retaining information?"

Discussion in 'Step I' started by Wings4Marie, Mar 4, 2007.

1. Wings4Marie

Wings4Marie 2+ Year Member

Jan 24, 2007
    I find that after a good 2 days of hardcore reading, I'm able to score well on these practice tests (NBME, Kaplan, USMLEWorld). However if I take days off, or just do questions all day... the information starts leaving my head. Maybe its because new information is pushing it aside..

In conclusion, I think the best thing to do is to not put too much unnecessary info into your brain, because this tends to push out some necessary info. Or, you could just repeat information over and over ad nauseum, and this tends to make it stick...

It must have to do with neural connections not being solidified, therefore "if you don't use it, you lose it."

Anyone else, care to comment or have similar memory issues? Man, I wish I had a photographic memory!:rolleyes:

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. lekky

lekky 2+ Year Member

Dec 7, 2006
    yea im the same way, good with retaining stuff for short term, but have problem with long term memory- but i guess everyone would have problem with it unless you keep going over the info again and again- or do questions to make it stick in your head regularly.....and then again getting enough sleep is important too, since alot of synapses form during sleep i read somewhere. (but thats not a prob for me, i tend to sleep 2 much, gotta start cutting bakc on those naps :sleep: )

4. lord_jeebus

lord_jeebus 和魂洋才 Moderator Physician 10+ Year Member

Jul 12, 2003
    GMT+9
    I don't think that new info pushes out old info.

But focusing on new info can take away from time that could be spent reviewing old info, and too much info at once can get things mixed up.

5. SeventhSon

SeventhSon SIMMER DOWN 7+ Year Member

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    MDApps:
    well how much time do you appropriate to old vs. new material then?

jeebus shouldn't you be on the wards :sleep: :sleep:

6. domer621

domer621 MS4 5+ Year Member

Jul 24, 2004
    He's nice enough to stick around and lend helpful advice.

7. SeventhSon

SeventhSon SIMMER DOWN 7+ Year Member

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    MDApps:
    im being facetious, he was kind of enough to give me advice during the application cycle last year.

8. Wings4Marie

Wings4Marie 2+ Year Member

Jan 24, 2007
    'preciate the responses.

I'm finding more and more that the best way to remember something is to read up on the 'whole story.' If that means hittin up big bad boy Robbins or fat @$$ Katzung, then that's the way it has to be :cool:

Is anyone else finding that there's information in First Aid you never knew was there? I've had this book for years and still find new stuff, very eerie. Although, it could just be the amphetamines talking... :scared:

9. lord_jeebus

Jul 12, 2003
    GMT+9
    I am the Houdini of the wards.

There is also no shortage of computers in the student lounge at the U. I should be studying for my shelf though.

Don't you have a test coming up? (Safe bet at UCSD, I know)

10. lord_jeebus

Jul 12, 2003
    GMT+9
    Three thumbs up, you have solved the mystery of Step 1.

11. Thievery Corp.

Thievery Corp. Covert Hipster 5+ Year Member

Jul 16, 2006
    My approach continues to be, toss up as much material as possible and see what sticks. Then rinse & repeat :laugh:

12. Medikit

Medikit Plastic Bag Middle Class Physician 10+ Year Member

May 21, 2004
    Has anyone tried the download feature advertised in The Matrix? How much does it cost to get the port installed? How successful have people who used it done on the USMLE? Is it better than USMLErx and Qbank? Should I just read goljan instead or should I download goljan audio into my brain and use BSR?

13. mesoderm

mesoderm Junior Member 5+ Year Member

Aug 12, 2004
    LOL!!! Dude, I'm with you!

But seriously, at some point memorization is required. Think about how actors memorize lines of monologue/dailogue. They read and speak what they have to memorize. So I recommend that we all start talking. It helps with more than keeping it in memory. If we can explain what we are studying in our own words, then we know that we know that we know it. If you don't have a study partner or group, then start talking to yourself :D