serious q: hobbies on amcas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goldandapager

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
would dropping a rap mixtape qualify? i take it seriously, although the content might not be preferable to share with an adcom. i want them to know who i am as a person cause i'm weird, but is this the way to go? should i just stick with my generic hobbies like art, literature and basketball? i'm not really exceptional at any. just like to do it.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
A lot of people might say no, and you should probably get an advisor to weigh in on this one (LizzyM bat signal, anyone?)...

HOWEVER my personal opinion is that if it's something that you dedicated a good amount of your time to and something that you feel you can explain and justify to your million year old interviewer, go for it. I don't think you'll get rejected because of it, and it might be attractive to those med schools that pride themselves on enrolling artistic, well-rounded students.

Maybe write some clean raps. I'd avoid giving them raunchy stuff. That's like a stripper giving her half-nude pictures to an adcom. Instead, she'd do better calling herself a "model" or similar and giving them a portfolio w/ her actually clothed decently.

Members don't see this ad :)
HOWEVER my personal opinion is that if it's something that you dedicated a good amount of your time to and something that you feel you can explain and justify to your million year old interviewer, go for it. I don't think you'll get rejected because of it, and it might be attractive to those med schools that pride themselves on enrolling artistic, well-rounded students.
I agree with this. I doubt you're going to lose many points for your taste in music; if it's something you spent a lot of time on, I would put it.

Enlighten me...what is involved in a rap 'mixtape'? When I think of a mixtape, I think of compiling a bunch of songs other people have done.

would dropping a rap mixtape qualify? i take it seriously, although the content might not be preferable to share with an adcom. i want them to know who i am as a person cause i'm weird, but like is this the way to go? should i just stick with my generic hobbies like art, literature and basketball? i'm not really exceptional at any. just like to do it.

I don't even know what "dropping" means in that first sentence. I've already had one person give me a url for their youtube video.... I thought it was fun, although it wasn't rap.

a mixtape, in hip-hop lingo, is an album that's released for the purpose of promotion. they're usually given out free or for a nominal sum. it's typical for rappers to use other people's instrumentals on these albums; they're more or less showcases of a rapper's talents.

I don't even know what "dropping" means in that first sentence. I've already had one person give me a url for their youtube video.... I thought it was fun, although it wasn't rap.

sorry, "dropping" means releasing to the public, e.g., via free download or distribution of CD-Rs.

I thnk it would be awesome to write a rap song that covers a concept that you need to know for the MCAT or for o-chem or biochem or something that most pre-meds could relate to. It might even help you remember some key concepts. The same could be said for something like the cranial nerves, or other anatomical or cellular stuff. An adcom would eat it up (put it on youtube and put the url in your application).

What if the songs are about boobies and drugs?

Tru dat...OP I love that pic of Denzel Washington in your Avatar :smuggrin:

a mixtape, in hip-hop lingo, is an album that's released for the purpose of promotion. they're usually given out free or for a nominal sum. it's typical for rappers to use other people's instrumentals on these albums; they're more or less showcases of a rapper's talents.

Oh god, are you one of those people who hands strangers their album while they're walking down the street and, after they take it from you to be polite, you stop them and demand $5?

Anyway, thanks for the explanation. If you decide to put in on your AMCAS, I'd be sure to make it clear that it is your own work (perhaps be cautious with the word 'mixtape'). I didn't even know as a 20-something...think about the 70-somethings who might be reviewing your app.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh god, are you one of those people who hands strangers their album while they're walking down the street and, after they take it from you to be polite, you stop them and demand $5?

Anyway, thanks for the explanation. If you decide to put in on your AMCAS, I'd be sure to make it clear that it is your own work (perhaps be cautious with the word 'mixtape'). I didn't even know as a 20-something...think about the 70-somethings who might be reviewing your app.

no, I'm not a Hare Krishna

Tru dat...OP I love that pic of Denzel Washington in your Avatar :smuggrin:
Can't tell if serious, but that's Big Daddy Kane. I'm surprised not many people know what a hip-hop mixtape is here.

Can't tell if serious, but that's Big Daddy Kane. I'm surprised not many people know what a hip-hop mixtape is here.

That's not BDK, this is Big Daddy Kane!

will-smith-400a314.jpg

Well, now you're just being silly. That is Denzel Washington.

Do keep in mind that your application might be reviewed by a med student who is about your age but it might also get assigned to someone who has kids in college and there are a few people on my team who have great grandchildren! So some of us are more familiar with the Beatles or Sinatra or Beverly Sills.

This thread is becoming hilarious.

To the OP what do you like to rap about? Are you more Lil Wayne or Immortal Technique? Do you have a strong cultural connection to hip-hop (grew up in the inner-city etc) or did you just pick it up because it appealed to you?

I think the majority of adcoms are out of touch with the reality of hip-hop so they may not be that impressed. I would include it if you have performed at a live venue, have won any competitions or have been signed to a label. Anyone can drop a mix-tape, that really doesn't say too much about your talents or dedication.

This thread is becoming hilarious.

To the OP what do you like to rap about? Are you more Lil Wayne or Immortal Technique? Do you have a strong cultural connection to hip-hop (grew up in the inner-city etc) or did you just pick it up because it appealed to you?

I think the majority of adcoms are out of touch with the reality of hip-hop so they may not be that impressed. I would include it if you have performed at a live venue, have won any competitions or have been signed to a label. Anyone can drop a mix-tape, that really doesn't say too much about your talents or dedication.

i'm a suburban kid who got drawn to hip hop after hearing ludacris' funny/clever lyrics in 6th grade. i guess i don't have a cultural connection by your definition (i've never suffered any hardship financial or otherwise). it's just a personal interest and hobby; i just enjoy the art. i don't expect to impress anyone with the fact that i rhyme in my bedroom, but i think if they heard what i got they'd appreciate it on an intellectual level. i think that it's something that makes me, me; no one expects it. and no, i don't rap like immortal technique (pseudo-intellectual BS) or lil wayne (smarter than IT, though). i

i'm a suburban kid who got drawn to hip hop after hearing ludacris' funny/clever lyrics in 6th grade. i guess i don't have a cultural connection by your definition (i've never suffered any hardship financial or otherwise). it's just a personal interest and hobby; i just enjoy the art. i don't expect to impress anyone with the fact that i rhyme in my bedroom, but i think if they heard what i got they'd appreciate it on an intellectual level. i think that it's something that makes me, me; no one expects it. and no, i don't rap like immortal technique (pseudo-intellectual BS) or lil wayne (smarter than IT, though). i

While I can enjoy different rappers for different reasons, even Lil' Wayne occasionally, suggesting that Wayne's lyricism is smarter than IT's is absurd. Your opinion betrays an ignorance of the significant and important role sociopolitical critique has traditionally played in hip hop. IT is easily the smartest rapper/lyricist rapping today that maintains that tradition. Whether he is the most enjoyable rapper to listen to is a different story.

Perhaps, if you had more insight into the inner-city experience, the effects and causes of the drug trade and the negative consequences of American foreign policy (especially American involvement in South and Central America) you would have a greater appreciation for his work.

Given your assessment, I have my doubts that anyone would be impressed with your intellect if they had a listen to your bedroom raps. Luckily, they won't have to rely exclusively on these to evaluate your intelligence. :laugh:

While I can enjoy different rappers for different reasons, even Lil' Wayne occasionally, suggesting that Wayne's lyricism is smarter than IT's is absurd. Your opinion betrays an ignorance of the significant and important role sociopolitical critique has traditionally played in hip hop. IT is easily the smartest rapper/lyricist rapping today that maintains that tradition. Whether he is the most enjoyable rapper to listen to is a different story.

Perhaps, if you had more insight into the inner-city experience, the effects and causes of the drug trade and the negative consequences of American foreign policy (especially American involvement in South and Central America) you would have a greater appreciation for his work.

Given your assessment, I have my doubts that anyone would be impressed with your intellect if they had a listen to your bedroom raps. Luckily, they won't have to rely exclusively on these to evaluate your intelligence. :laugh:

You seem to suggest that someone who is familiar with the plight of the inner city would attribute knowledge of history and governmental affairs to intelligence, rather than class/upbringing/education. If Immortal Technique was so smart, he would switch up his cadence once in a while, so as not to bore his audience to sleep -- and consequently limit his ceiling to a bunch of backpackers who think that a non-white dude who references Peter Jennings and Che Guevara is soooooo special.

I've read Noam Chomsky, too, brah. Doesn't make me or you a genius, does it? Get off your high horse.

You seem to suggest that someone who is familiar with the plight of the inner city would attribute knowledge of history and governmental affairs to intelligence, rather than class/upbringing/education. If Immortal Technique was so smart, he would switch up his cadence once in a while, so as not to bore his audience to sleep -- and consequently limit his ceiling to a bunch of backpackers who think that a non-white dude who references Peter Jennings and Che Guevara is soooooo special.

I've read Noam Chomsky, too, brah. Doesn't make me or you a genius, does it? Get off your high horse.

I don't remember seeing anyone falling asleep at his concert.

My suggestion was that if you were more familiar with the topics I mentioned you would have a greater appreciation for someone who approaches them with the lyrical energy and intelligence that IT displays in his music. Or perhaps you don't respect rap as a valid form of social critique and think it should just be clever and entertaining in a superficial way.

I like clever playful rap too, been listening to Luda for almost ten years now (though I still like his serious songs like Growing Pains and Cold Outside the best). But, I think the best rap aggressively analyzes and critiques the social conditions where the majority of rappers come from (the inner-city ghetto). IT goes a step further and places this analysis within a global context and delivers his critique with hard-hitting lyrical intensity. Maybe someone should've told KRS-One, Public Enemy etc to switch their cadence too...

Have you even listened to IT's albums fully? Or just one or two of his songs.

in my eyes rap music is like tattoos. some people like them, some people don't mind, but the vast majority of conversative people (like the ones you get in medicine) hate them very much. you could get someone that likes rap, but the odds are against you, so why take the chance?

in my eyes rap music is like tattoos. some people like them, some people don't mind, but the vast majority of conversative people (like the ones you get in medicine) hate them very much. you could get someone that likes rap, but the odds are against you, so why take the chance?

Sound advice, though if you are really committed to including this activity you could sell it as "spoken word poetry" with a semi-straight face.

What if the songs are about boobies and drugs?
LOL'D

U mad? You just went from 3rd grade grammar in the OP to super tryhard writing mode.

sorry, "dropping" means releasing to the public, e.g., via free download or distribution of CD-Rs.
I_HAVE_FOUND_THIS_HUMERUS_by_JoSnapeMalfoy.jpg

LOL'D

U mad? You just went from 3rd grade grammar in the OP to super tryhard writing mode.

I wouldn't say the grammar in the post you quote is significantly better, but this is an internet forum after all. Even in formal settings not many people remember to distinguish between the subjunctive and imperfect. And calling someone "brah" is a cool way to be condescending...I guess. I'm also not sure that "limiting someone's ceiling" is the phrase the OP was searching for, since it's not exactly idiomatic English. Luckily, I am good at using context clues. :laugh:

I wouldn't say the grammar in the post you quote is significantly better, but this is an internet forum after all. Even in formal settings not many people remember to distinguish between the subjunctive and imperfect. And calling someone "brah" is a cool way to be condescending...I guess. I'm also not sure that "limiting someone's ceiling" is the phrase the OP was searching for, since it's not exactly idiomatic English. Luckily, I am good at using context clues. :laugh:

Wanna rap battle to prove who is better at English? It'll be the first track on my mixtape. I'm Edgar Allan Poe of the flow.

Wanna rap battle to prove who is better at English? It'll be the first track on my mixtape. I'm Edgar Allan Poe of the flow.

I'm sure your rhymes are absolutely horrifying. :laugh:

Also, I think the "the" in your last sentence somehow unintentionally migrated down a few words.

Keep it civil, guys.

Just having some fun. Bravado is all part of the rap game. :laugh:

I'm sure no one is taking it too personally. I'm fairly confident the op is a reasonably intelligent guy, poor understanding of the finer points of English grammar and an affinity to mediocre rappers notwithstanding.

In any case, I gave my advice in one of my first posts. We can return to serious discussion if anyone thinks the topic still warrants it.

I am genuinely into rap and it's a part of my soul. It led me to become a creative writing major. I scored an 11 on the SAT writing section. I attribute this to analyzing Ludacris and Drake lyrics and listening to Nas "Illmatic". So I take issue with the assertion that I have bad grammar. Sorry for riling on the masses here; it was unintentional :eek:. I think it's pretty clear that in order to be qualified to put hip hop down as an EC. I need to do something substantial, e.g., perform live and get signed. I think an admissions committee would appreciate my talents though. O well. :cool:

I am genuinely into rap and it's a part of my soul. It led me to become a creative writing major. I scored an 11 on the SAT writing section. I attribute this to analyzing Ludacris and Drake lyrics and listening to Nas "Illmatic". So I take issue with the assertion that I have bad grammar. Sorry for riling on the masses here; it was unintentional :eek:. I think it's pretty clear that in order to be qualified to put hip hop down as an EC. I need to do something substantial, e.g., perform live and get signed. I think an admissions committee would appreciate my talents though. O well. :cool:

:thumbup:

I won't point out the misplaced period as you seem to be improving your message-board eloquence.

Upon further consideration, I think if you spend a significant amount of time composing songs then you should include this activity in some form. It may just require a bit of tact in how you describe it. Having something substantive to show for it would make it more legitimate in the context of a med school app.

Nevertheless, like I said earlier you might want to say that you compose spoken word poetry, or think of another way to articulate what you do that speaks more to the experiences and knowledge of people who are relatively unlikely to associate rap with anything positive. :)

Maybe you could rock something tasteful acapella and youtube it if you really want to show adcoms an example of your work?

Haha excellent find! An image that seems to have been created exactly for this thread. You must be pretty satisfied with yourself right about now.

10/10 for timing and fit.
feelsgoodman

Except idk why Jupiter is in the background lol :laugh:

feelsgoodman

Except idk why Jupiter is in the background lol :laugh:

I strongly suspect it is an abstruse mythological allusion commenting on MC Hammer's Olympian status among rappers. Or... er...