Serious question about bathroom usage on MCAT test day.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hiyaman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear all,

Disclaimer: I am very serious about this question.

I have signed up for a 8 am MCAT test time because my classes are always in the morning and I usually take midterms/finals early in the morning *8-10*. However recently on my mcat practices which I take around 8 am to simulate an actual test. I often have to use the bathroom to take a dump around 12-1 o clock. This seems to be my natural body rhythm so in the middle of my test I have to hold it in and keep it in till break which is kind of distracting. And I have this phobia about the real test day, when I go on break what If something horribly goes wrong in the bathroom and i'm not back in 10 mins??

SO does anyone know how to change my routine? I don't know what's up because just a few months ago my routine was in the late afternoon now it's moved up.

Members don't see this ad.

:)
Your post made me smile.
First, I'd recommend scouting out your testing area, seeing the bathroom situation, and maybe even asking approximately how many people are signed up. I think your breaks will be somewhat spaced out, so if there aren't a lot of people and if there is a decent bathroom density, you should be okay. I'm not sure how long it takes you to go number 2, but 10 mins is a fair amount of time, though you will have to sign in and out, which can take a minute or so each way.

You could also try to take something to induce constipation, or just not eat a lot of fiber the previous day.

I also think testing centers, and the MCAT itself, is pretty liberal about those 10 minute breaks. I think it won't automatically start once your break is up, but you'll have some leeway. Don't quote me on that, but thats what my verbal teacher told me. I think it'll only start if the testing center people start it, so maybe even mentioning that you are going number two to them would garner some sympathy.

Me... I switched from coffee to energy drinks that morning so my morning "breaK" didn't occur.

I was seated at 12:40 PM for the 1:00 test, and signed out at 5:30. I didn't log out for any of the breaks, and only took 5 minutes of each scheduled break at my seat to meditate/clear my mind for the next segment. So I was in the room for about 5 hours. Having said that, here are some suggestions. 1) Start eating lots of fruits and veggies so your digestive system can get regular; 2) train yourself to hold it (if you can); 3) pack some immodium.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was seated at 12:40 PM for the 1:00 test, and signed out at 5:30. I didn't log out for any of the breaks, and only took 5 minutes of each scheduled break at my seat to meditate/clear my mind for the next segment. So I was in the room for about 5 hours. Having said that, here are some suggestions. 1) Start eating lots of fruits and veggies so your digestive system can get regular; 2) train yourself to hold it (if you can); 3) pack some immodium.

Immodium, works wonders on test days. Though I think it can make you drowsy (opiate) if taken with certain foods.

SO does anyone know how to change my routine? I don't know what's up because just a few months ago my routine was in the late afternoon now it's moved up.

I had the same issue.

What I did QD(everyday) for 1 week before the real deal:
- I ate a large dinner the night before.
- I woke up by 5:45AM. (which was difficult for me since I'm not a morning person:sleep:)
- Ate a small breakfast by 6AM.
- Ate a 2nd moderately-sized breakfast @ 7:30AM
(this parasympathetically signaled to my rectum to make more room for the incoming bolus of food:poke:)
- I had a BM precisely @ 7:45AM (like clockwork)

Once I had the routine down pat, it became my signal that I was NOW READY TO ATTACK the exam!

PS - on the day of the real deal --> I brought my moderately-sized breakfast with me to the test center and ate it in my car before signing in. After signing in and waiting to be seated, I had my BM @ 7:50AM!:soexcited:
(a lil' later than expected, but @ least I didn't have to think about it during the test)

Good luck!

Dear all,

Disclaimer: I am very serious about this question.

I have signed up for a 8 am MCAT test time because my classes are always in the morning and I usually take midterms/finals early in the morning *8-10*. However recently on my mcat practices which I take around 8 am to simulate an actual test. I often have to use the bathroom to take a dump around 12-1 o clock. This seems to be my natural body rhythm so in the middle of my test I have to hold it in and keep it in till break which is kind of distracting. And I have this phobia about the real test day, when I go on break what If something horribly goes wrong in the bathroom and i'm not back in 10 mins??

I'm pretty sure you get a 10 min break, followed by up to 10 minutes of agreement time. There is no possible way it should take 10 minutes, but you should have well over 15 minutes. I did not test the 10 minute agreement, but you should be fine.

Obviously you've taken practice exams, so you should have your routine down.