Serious question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOnut

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere that nurse practitioners who work under Osteopathic Physicians can not prescribe medication. I hope this is not true. Can someone please tell me if I was reading old information? Is this a state by state issue, or is it national?

Also are there any different rules that apply to PA's that work with Osteopathic physicians?

please respond!!

Members don't see this ad.

I believe in Pennsylvania, PAs (and I would assume NPs) cannot prescribe certain medications (or maybe all medications) while working under the medical direction of a DO.

NPs may be different because I think they have independent licensure.

I personally think this law sucks, particulary in Pennsylvania, supposedly one of the more "DO friendly" states.

Thanks JP,

I actually found the answer for PA's from the American Association of Physician Assistants (AAPA). PA's do have the same rights whether working with a DO or a MD in any state. This is from the AAPA website:

"Supervising physician should be defined as an allopathic or osteopathic physician (MD or DO) licensed to practice in the state, who accepts responsibility for the supervision of services provided by physician assistants. In solo practice settings, provisions should be made for alternate supervision in the supervising physician?s absence. In group practice situations or in the hospital or its emergency department, provisions should be made for all staff physicians who so choose to supervise PAs who practice in the group or institution."

If this crap is true, however about NP's something needs to change.

+pissed+ That's complete bull****, and I hope that it is only limited to PA (Pennsylvania) .........although I fear it's not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bump.....I hope someone has some info

I believe PAs are somewhat limited in Pennsylvania when it comes to practicing under DOs. However, more comprehensive practice rights were offered, but DOs turned the supervised additional rights to PAs down and actually lobby quite often for restricted rights to PAs, nurse practitioners and chiropractors. The reason is because in today's managed care world, you simply cannot afford to give up any of your legal practicing rights to someone else.

Also, a bill was actually just defeated which would have made chiropractors the only legal "physicians" who could perform spinal manipulation, as well as making chiropractors primary care physicians.

Spend some time on the AOA's website or DO-online.org. There's alot of legislative action underway currently that will decide your future as physicians.