Seriously Considering Switching to Anesthesiology from Derm

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi

I matched into categorical Derm into a program that I dislike and to make matters worse I have to move my kids and husband. My husband has to get a new job in the city. The move is very expensive. I am thinking of switching to Anesthesiology in my home city. How do I go about doing this? Please help.:scared:

I think you've been smoking too much con bud.

Take the derm spot.

Librarian hours. No call, no weekends, no holidays.

Members don't see this ad.

:mad:
Dear Derm155,
You ought to be ashamed of yourself. It's females like you that give women a bad name.

Firstly, your feigned consideration of your husband (what a sucker) and your child only came after you decided that the program you had matched to was not reputable enough.

Secondly, you failed to include your husband in your deliberations on your rank list. Did you even care that he had any input into whether he would be willing to follow you to everyone of your 16 ranks? Did you even care? When you look at him, do you see a real person with his own career, goals and with some feelings or just a prop to round out your idea of a fulfilled woman (whatever that nonsense is).

Third, you further the insult by assuming that somehow you are entitled to a position in Anesthesiology which you have no experience in nor genuine interest in. I suppose you assume we should feel lucky to have someone as wonderful as you :rolleyes:. Besides the condescension, you also belittle the efforts of other Anesthesia applicants who are devoted to this specialty and have worked hard their entire med school careers on grades, research etc in the hopes of obtaining a residency spot.

Fourth, you have deprived some other desperate and (more often than not) even better qualified derm applicant of a spot.

Fifth, you fail to understand that there are consequences for the decisions we make. You cannot opt out of a match spot just because you don't feel like it. "The move is very expensive..." are you effing kidding me? What are you 10 years old? did you not think you would have to pay to move to a city YOU INTERVIEWED AT AND RANKED?

Shame on you and grow up.
I hope you don't show up for your job and you violate the terms of the match. Then try your hands at getting a job all over again and see where that gets you.

For heaven's sake, what quality of med students are we putting out in this country.

I COMPLETELY AGREE!

You should be ashamed of yourself, Derm155.

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesomest answer to the OP's dilemma from her thread in the Derm forum (aside from the burn on anesthesiology):

Alright derm155,

Here’s what you do:

First, you tell all these anesthesia num-nums to go F off with their iphone or place an a-line up their own ass into the inferior rectal artery.

Next, you go buy yourself a sack of peyote, and I’m not talking about a small sack here, either. Go buy yourself a big F-ing sack of peyote. If you have the resourcefulness to match into derm, then you can find a huge sack of mescaline.

Ok, now find the nearest desert and walk into it. Do not drive into it. Do not bicycle into it. Do not go by moped or hang glider. You walk your ass into that desert.

The doctor quest has begun…

Ok, now that you are in the desert, I hope you were smart enough to bring several key items: a hammer, six feet of twine, some tweezers, a swiss army knife (without the tweezers attachment), a walkman, a magnifying glass, and a book on desert survival tactics.

You have all this stuff, you say? Good! Now start walking whatever direction seems the most awesome to you. There is no right or wrong here. You are on a doctor quest.

Keep walking the same direction for 12 days and 12 nights without stopping for food or rest or water. After 12 days of this walking you will spot a rock outcropping in the distance that looks like a Sasquatch wrestling a dolphin (you’ll know it when you see it). Go to this rock outcropping and climb to the part where the Sasquatch is punching the dolphin in his blowhole. Crouch down in the divot that is the blowhole and make camp for the night. Build a huge fire and dance around it in a counterclockwise fashion whilst listening to Milli Vanilli’s “girl you know it’s true.” When you grow weary, take a seat at the edge of the fire and fish your peyote depot from your knapsack. Now, spread the peyote out on the earth and crush it with the palm of your hand, as your doctor ancestors did eons ago. Take this mash and shovel it into your maw. Swallow. With pride. Your doctor quest is nearing its purpose. You will feel a warmth begin to well up from inside you. Focus on this warmth, for it is your ticket to the fabled ‘Doctorland,’ where every doctor from the dawn of time has gone at one point or another to frolick and play amongst the other doctors and occasional PA or nurse practitioner who wanders in by accident. Cock your head to the heavens, look at the western night sky. Marvel at the cosmos in all its infinite glory. Focus on the warmth…look there! What do you see! Why, it’s the Space Unicorn of legend! The very one who transports doctors who are on doctor quests to Doctorland. Say hello to the Unicorn! Beckon to him. His toll is unfathomable, his price near impossible, but you stand resolute at the Sasquatch precipice. The majestic unicorn is now only feet away, and he bellows in an ancient tongue “I am here to take you to Doctorland, Derm155!!! In order for me to undertake this perilous journey, I require several key items as payment!! Do you have a hammer, tweezers, six feet of twine, magnifying glass, swiss army knife without the tweezers attachment, and a book on desert survival tactics??!! You do? Well, by all means, hop on my back then! We’re going to Doctorland!!!” You must mount this steed.

Your answers lie just beyond the clouds…

Wow... I don't know where to start.

Thanks to SDN for my evening's amusement!

I'm astounded by the OP's belief that she will get more recognition as a dr in anaesthesia than derm :lol: And I'm still waiting on an answer as to what she likes about anaesthesia

Regardless, derm155, I pity whoever's residency class (right phrase?) you end up in - cause you're going to be miserable either way unless you can get over the toddler tantrum you're having cause you didn't get what you wanted.

And for the sanity of my North American colleagues, I hope you stick with derm.

Unfortunately our specialty has always attracted similar people.
They all come because they are told that anesthesia is an easy specialty or a "lifestyle specialty".
These are the kind of people who become your average surgicenter part time anesthesiologists who never read a book after residency.

Unfortunately our specialty has always attracted similar people.
They all come because they are told that anesthesia is an easy specialty or a "lifestyle specialty".
These are the kind of people who become your average surgicenter part time anesthesiologists who never read a book after residency.

The market is no longer tolerating this type of "provider". So, I think it'll correct itself.

Just my $0.02

cf

The market is no longer tolerating this type of "provider". So, I think it'll correct itself.

Just my $0.02

cf

Yes, it tolerates them. It coddles many of them. If you are talking about the recert process, it is not that demanding. You can just study for a month once every 10 years. I think you are partially correct, in that the quality of students going into the field is higher, so hopefully there will be fewer like this. It is all cyclical though.

kine bud.

commonly mispoken as "kind bud".

only on SDN as "con bud".

;)

at least i learned something in grad school

thanks that was helpful looking it up. I came up with nothing under con. But now I get the joke.

:laugh:

kine bud.

commonly mispoken as "kind bud".

only on SDN as "con bud".

;)

at least i learned something in grad school

You're right of course. Thanks. Guess I've always spelled it like it sounds when someone says it....it sounds like...

"Dude, that must be con bud cuz I took haffa hit and I'm smoked!"

When spoken urban-ly, it does not sound like

"Dude, that must be KINE bud cuz I took haffa hit and I'm smoked!"

Awesomest answer to the OP's dilemma from her thread in the Derm forum (aside from the burn on anesthesiology):

Amazing, and eerily personal. Apparently anesthesia residents can be easily identified in the wild by the presence of an iphone.

You're right of course. Thanks. Guess I've always spelled it like it sounds when someone says it....it sounds like...

"Dude, that must be con bud cuz I took haffa hit and I'm smoked!"

When spoken urban-ly, it does not sound like

"Dude, that must be KINE bud cuz I took haffa hit and I'm smoked!"

It always sounded like KINE to me, but I was running around with a Jamaican girl back in the day, and everyTING sounded different.

Maybe it's a southern accent that makes it sound like "con".

And yep, we've already spent waaaaay too much time dissecting this ;)

It always sounded like KINE to me, but I was running around with a Jamaican girl back in the day, and everyTING sounded different.

Maybe it's a southern accent that makes it sound like "con".

And yep, we've already spent waaaaay too much time dissecting this ;)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I genuflect.

To you

having a

Jamaican girlfriend that even

remotely makes the subject about every

TING

sounding similar.

KINE?

CON?

(jet abruptly glances right)

"I CAN TURN IT ON AND TURN IT TOFF."

I hear ya, Tris.

THAT JAMAICAN CHICK HAD WAY TOO MUCH INFLUENCE. LET IT GO. CUZ SHE WAS A HOE...............HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....dude that rhymed......

Yes, it tolerates them. It coddles many of them. If you are talking about the recert process, it is not that demanding. You can just study for a month once every 10 years. I think you are partially correct, in that the quality of students going into the field is higher, so hopefully there will be fewer like this. It is all cyclical though.

Gern, I should have restated that in the future the market is highly unlikely to tolerate that.

Knowing the type of person that matches into derm, I have a theory on the OP:

she knew from the very beginning that she's going to go into derm. The residency she matched into is in some goofy-ass location, but she ultimately doesn't care, it's derm, and she's going to go there. BUT, this provides her with the perfect opportunity to feign to her husband that her relationship with him and her family is more important than her career. She is such a mench that she will sacrifice her career-aspirations for the comfort of her family and go into another specialty because she loves them so much.

So after telling her husband of her plans, some tears (from the sink) were wiped and she went onto her laptop and posted this thread. Knowing she'd get 50 people telling her what a lunatic she is for giving up derm, she'd demurely show her husband the collective scream. Said husband feels obligated to clearly give his support for her to go into derm. In fact, he DEMANDS it! "We must go. You've worked too hard. You must pursue derm!"

The OP now gets a) derm, and b) a husband who thinks she's more concerned about his happiness than she really is.

Well played OP. It takes a special type of Type-A pathology to get into derm, and you've proven you have the muster.

(she will totally divorce his ass if this plan backfires)

amazing post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: