Seriously need some advice...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orthoboy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Even though you haven't started studying yet, if you are just trying to get between 28-30, I think six weeks of hardcore studying can get you there. Make sure to register as soon as you can or you might end up having to drive across some state borders.

Have you taken a practice exam yet?

The physiology and genetics would definitely help you out a lot on the bio section, so if you want extra time to study and a better mastery of the material, you could take the January exam.

But from what it sounds like, you might have to take the August exam because if you apply next cycle you'll be recovering from your surgery while you get your interviews.

You can take the test in august if you feel ready for it or take it later next year. Since you'll be having a serious surgery, it's probably better to apply next cycle and be able to go. By the time you apply after taking the august test it'll already be later in the cycle and you might have to defer.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have not taken a practice exam yet because I was told that a diagnostic is a waste of a practice exam since I haven't studied any yet.

I thought the same exact thing and I regret it so much, I'd probably have started studying sooner if I took my first practice earlier.

I wanted to do at least 20 practice exams, I did 13.

Do not worry about wasting exams, there are SOOO MANY. I also didn't even really review any except the last 5.

I would say the best answer to your main question would be taking a crappy practice exam and seeing how you did. Depending on which company's practice exam you took, you can kinda infer what your AAMC score would be. If you score decently and think that with 6 weeks of studying you can improve your score, go ahead and register. But make up your mind soon!

I think consensus says read TPRH, do problems from BR, and take as many FLs as you can with thorough review of each.

Six weeks is a REALLY tight cram - I'm a month out from my exam (4 weeks), and if you told me two weeks ago to start studying, I'd cry. There's just a TON of material you need to really master.

If you say you're a terrible test taker (like me), then you need to do as many practice problems as you can. It isn't like magic for your scores to increase. It takes a TON of work behind the scenes. Sometimes it's content-based, but many times, it is strategy-based. I think 6 weeks to review all the topics is not going to give you enough time for passages and review.

I quit my job to study full-time, and I'm taking 3-4 months to get it all nailed down. Everyone is different - I hope it would take less time for you!

Not trying to be pessimistic, but just trying to give you insight into how long it can all take. Shoot for worst case scenario. I wouldn't rely on just ONE exam to decide on whether you should shoot for August or not. Besides, to study HARD from now until August would burn you out.

I also think you'd DEFINITELY benefit from having A&P under your belt. The MCAT has a few "heavy" A&P concepts (i.e. the loop of Henle will be your best friend by the end of all this).

I think that maybe a September date would work better - but you'll need to register soon! As someone already mentioned, seats fill up quick! However, I'd suggest waiting a little bit longer - maybe January would be wiser, and you can apply next cycle. Though deferring is so much easier than doing the app process later, during your recovery period.