Seriously Thinking about Medical School...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mariposanegra17

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am really considering going to Medical School after I receive my Bachelors Degree and I believe I am in need of some advice...

This past May (2011) I received my Associates Degree in Humanities and Social Sciences from a Community College and am hopefully applying in the Winter of 2011 or Spring of 2012 to continue my education to obtain a Bachelors degree and then if everything goes according to plan, apply for medical school.

I have been thinking quite a bit about this and I am looking more into the specialty of Psychiatry. I have done some research and understand that I don't have to have a specific major to be pre-med, but I was wondering what are some good ideas? I know that I want to minor in Anthropology, but what should my major be? Psychology perhaps?

In addition, I was wondering if it sounds like I am going in a good direction. I graduated community college with a 3.6 GPA and will continue to try and make it much higher. I am a member of Phi Theta Kappa and have been working at an Ophthalmologists office for almost three years and have quickly worked my way up from being a temporary electronic filer to an Ophthalmic Medical Assistant (I am currently taking the home study course). I also want to start volunteering at a local hospital. I speak Spanish pretty fluently and know some Japanese and intend to learn more.

Also, what are some good classes to take that would look good on my transcript? Classes such as General and Organic Chemistry(w/lab), Biology (w/lab), Physics, Genetics, and Calculus? Math has never been my strong suit, but I am more than willing to do the best that I can to achieve this goal.

So, what do you guys think? I just want to be as prepared as I can possibly be for this.

Thank you so much for your assistance in advance,

~Miranda

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's excellent that you're interested in the medical field. This thread goes over the issues of choosing psychology or psychiatry as a field. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=840736

In terms of getting into medical school, yes most schools require at the minimum the "MCAT Prereqs" 1 year chemistry with lab, 1 year organic chemistry with lab, 1 year physics with lab, 1 year biology with lab, and calculus. Some schools require in addition to that 2 upper division biology courses and statistics.

Your GPA is fine, you're on the right track. Keep in mind science courses specifically the introductory premed science courses tend to be competitive and difficult, however if you go into them with the right mindset you will come out fine.

I think it's excellent that you're interested in the medical field. This thread goes over the issues of choosing psychology or psychiatry as a field. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=840736

In terms of getting into medical school, yes most schools require at the minimum the "MCAT Prereqs" 1 year chemistry with lab, 1 year organic chemistry with lab, 1 year physics with lab, 1 year biology with lab, and calculus. Some schools require in addition to that 2 upper division biology courses and statistics.

Your GPA is fine, you're on the right track. Keep in mind science courses specifically the introductory premed science courses tend to be competitive and difficult, however if you go into them with the right mindset you will come out fine.

Thank you for the advice! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
You can't be planning your specialty now before you're even accepted into med school. Keep up the good work, though, and show them you can handle tough science courses at a 4 year.

You can't be planning your specialty now before you're even accepted into med school. Keep up the good work, though, and show them you can handle tough science courses at a 4 year.

That is true. Even though I may be interested in that now, I do know that it may change completely. Thank you so much and I will do my best! :D

With no mention of your science background (let alone fulfillment of prerequisite), it is hard to say. There is also a study showing how people from allied health don't often perform well in MCAT, so while you seem to have a good story, odds are against to you at the moment.