SES/High School plays a role in Dental School Admission..?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

SXCoronado

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
well...public school funding is based on the value of the homes surrounding it...soo if you live in a rich neighborhood, the nearest high school is assumed to have a buttload of money meaning better resources and more advantaged students...yeah all schools look at your socioeconomic background...or do they...idk...lol

Members don't see this ad :)
somewhere on some other thread somebody posted something about some people from some underserved (ghetto) areas being somewhat more likely to go back sometime in their career and maybe sometimes practice in some of those areas

i said "some" 10x

She is just saying that just because Texas is one of the underserved community. There are a lot of these places in Texas, especially places like El Paso or somewhere near South Padre Island. As you can see, the three dental schools in Texas are all in close proximity to each other. Whenever students graduate from dental school, they are most likely going to practice around here or where they came from. Some people out there are from El Paso, and would want to practice there because close proximity of their family.

This is highly important because dental schools are trying to increase access of care to people. It would be hard if they are accepting all students that are from huge cities or have no desire to serve in those smaller towns.

I understand the point.. I think there should be incentives to go work there, like loan forgiveness programs. In a way it seems like the idea of in state versus out of state applicants, but on a much smaller scale. Still shouldn't weigh nearly as much as GPA or DAT though.

It isn't weighed as much as GPA/DAT. They said they take it into consideration. They also take into consideration what your EC are but that doesn't mean it outweighs GPA/DAT.

Reactions: 1 user
well obviously we can't have people who can't handle dental school taking up a precious spot in a dental class. plus if states are gonna give a ton of funding to state schools, you'd expect the state wants something in return, especially if it's texas where the state taxpayers pretty much pay 75% of your expenses. that something is access to care and of course competent dentists

In that case I should fine because my high school was....well I got out alive and before the age of 20!

well obviously we can't have people who can't handle dental school taking up a precious spot in a dental class. plus if states are gonna give a ton of funding to state schools, you'd expect the state wants something in return, especially if it's texas where the state taxpayers pretty much pay 75% of your expenses. that something is access to care and of course competent dentists
The center probably wished they had that kind of support.
http://uthscsa.edu/op/vital/documents/HSC_Overview_1-7-14.pdf

Just another way of saying they want more black applicants.

Having more applicants of any ethnic group does not necessarily translate into a greater enrollment.

Reactions: 1 user