sesap 13

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surgical06

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello all, this will be my first senior exam , i'm trying to really blow the senior exam out (>90th percentile, tell me what to do and i'll get it done). i fumbled year 1&2. what is the best prep. any thoughts on SESAP 13, i'd prefer a high question volume source, most people tell me the rush book is a waste. any thoughts.
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

it is a waste to buy this from your own pocket. it is usually avail in your library, or I'm sure someone on the staff has it to lend to you.

if you want a good score- study old questions

... my first senior exam [ABSITE], i'm trying to really blow the senior exam out ...what is the best prep. any thoughts on SESAP 13, i'd prefer a high question volume source, most people tell me the rush book is a waste...
...if you want a good score- study old questions
I will agree with that. Practice questions and lots of them are the way to go. For ABSITE, I did not have a particularly organized study regimen. I used old questions that others had accumulated. I did SESAP and some RUSH questions. One thing I noticed every year is the question repetition. It was clear my performance could always be better if I spent more time on practice questions/old questions. Also, when you go through questions, avoid getting stuck on memorizing that particular questions "correct answer". It's easy to gradually recognize both the question and answer when repetitively going through questions.... That's fine.

However, you need to take it to the next level. That is understanding "why" & "how". Why is that answer correct? Why are alternate options ~less correct or incorrect? How can scenario be changed to make alternate answers correct? (i.e. look-up question topic/scenario in textbook). So, do practice questions in volume and plan to open text to review said topic at somepoint with specific questions and answers in mind... i.e. directed reading.

JAD

Members don't see this ad :)
I've always used Fiser + Rush (taking notes on questions I don't know the answer to) + Absite Killer on my PDA (for the week before the exam) and have managed >90% every year. I agree with JAD, the more questions the better. I've also tried the Hopkins review (ok but limited) and the Fiser question book (can finish in <1 hr, not worth 40 bucks). Michigan Review (or whatever it's called now) is ok and can be finished in an hour or two, but don't pay for it.

The other thing that's important to do is take every specific topic you missed on years 1 and 2 and become an expert on each one (I take 1 page of notes on each and review them before the exam).

Hope that helps.

Besides keeping up with my regular reading, I used the Fiser book and Absite Killer. There are tons of repeated questions every year. I found that you get into a study routine that works and that's about it. I can't say that any one single question source was optimal for me.

asap, will buy used or newly purchased SESAP 13 question bank or split the costs for the purchase with someone and using it for some time (flexible) before ABSITE 1010

Sorry but you have missed the registration deadline...by about 1000 years!:laugh:

And in other bad news, ads are not allowed in the regular forums, so moving to Classified Forums.