Seton Hall Hackensack vs Rutgers RWJ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aím/md/mph

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted into the inaugural class at Seton Hall Hackensack SOM, and I absolutely love the school and its mission. I'm deciding between here and Rutgers-RWJ. Would anyone choose this school over a well-established med school like RWJ (FYI: Hackensack SOM would be cheaper for me, about 23K less per year).
What are your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I've been accepted into the inaugural class at Seton Hall Hackensack SOM, and I absolutely love the school and its mission. I'm deciding between here and Rutgers-RWJ. Would anyone choose this school over a well-established med school like RWJ (FYI: Hackensack SOM would be cheaper for me, about 23K less per year).
What are your thoughts?

Probably need to a really good reason to choose the new school over an established one. 23K per year is a big deal, but probably not worth it with regards to risk and career prospects.

RWJ - more established school, strong reputation in NJ (I'm assuming you're in-state), impressive match lists, etc.

No shade to SHU but from what I have gathered, the administration is in a bit of a funk and there will definitely be hiccups along the way (as with any new medical school). There's a lot of politics going on with SHU med right now (Seton Hall to stop funding medical school) and I just wouldn't risk it if I were in your position.

Reactions: 1 users
The decision is yours to make but just to add something based on your SDN name:

If you are hoping to pursue MD/MPH, Hackensack - SHU does not have that program set up yet (but they did say they hope to get it up and running soon). On the other hand, Rutgers RWJ is not already an established medical school but also has the MPH program (MD / MPH) with opportunity for a full scholarship for it according to their website:
"A limited number of full scholarships may be offered by each medical school to support the MPH degree for students in the dual-degree program on their campus."

*Each medical school is referring to NJMS and RWJMS.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
RWJ - more established school, strong reputation in NJ (I'm assuming you're in-state), impressive match lists, etc.

No shade to SHU but from what I have gathered, the administration is in a bit of a funk and there will definitely be hiccups along the way (as with any new medical school). There's a lot of politics going on with SHU med right now...

No, I’m OOS so the lower COA is appealing ( in addition to loving the school). I’m just not sure if it’s worth the risk.

Last edited:
No, I’m OOS so the lower COA is appealing ( in addition to loving the school). I’m just not sure if it’s worth the risk.

I've heard from people in my class that you become an in-state student after the first year as OOS! Not sure if that was factored in

Reactions: 1 user