Setting Up 4th Year Psych Audition Rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TerraceHouse

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
3rd year DO student at a newer school here!

Had a quick question I wanted to ask~
I've been working on setting up 4th year audition rotations for psych and I've reached out to approx 25-30 programs and have gotten flat out rejected by ~5 (no audition rotations, lack of affiliation agreements, spots reserved for affiliated med students, etc. etc.), was told to check back in April/May by ~5, and the remainder are all still pending or have not heard back.

About 1/2 the programs I reached out to were via VSAS & the other 1/2 were not using VSAS so I contacted their program contact person.

Well, our school recommended we have our fall schedule set up by early April but a lot of the programs I'm seeing are not even accepting applications until April/May and won't make a decision until May/June.

So should I be freaking out?
Is it normal for 3rd years to not have their 4th year schedule solidified until May? June?
Also, should I be hearing back at a higher %?

Started out looking at mostly midwest programs but now I'm willing to go anywhere to ensure that I have 4 psych audition rotations set up.

Would love some input. Despite people saying "don't trust SDN," I've honestly had really good luck and awesome people help me via SDN so hoping the trend continues. Fingers crossed.

Members don't see this ad.

3rd year DO student at a newer school here!

Had a quick question I wanted to ask~
I've been working on setting up 4th year audition rotations for psych and I've reached out to approx 25-30 programs and have gotten flat out rejected by ~5 (no audition rotations, lack of affiliation agreements, spots reserved for affiliated med students, etc. etc.), was told to check back in April/May by ~5, and the remainder are all still pending or have not heard back.

About 1/2 the programs I reached out to were via VSAS & the other 1/2 were not using VSAS so I contacted their program contact person.

Well, our school recommended we have our fall schedule set up by early April but a lot of the programs I'm seeing are not even accepting applications until April/May and won't make a decision until May/June.

So should I be freaking out?
Is it normal for 3rd years to not have their 4th year schedule solidified until May? June?
Also, should I be hearing back at a higher %?

Started out looking at mostly midwest programs but now I'm willing to go anywhere to ensure that I have 4 psych audition rotations set up.

Would love some input. Despite people saying "don't trust SDN," I've honestly had really good luck and awesome people help me via SDN so hoping the trend continues. Fingers crossed.

So it sounds like 5 out of 25-30 programs aren't accepting visiting students. Another handful told you to apply via VSAS, their standard method of accepting applications. Another bunch simply haven't gotten back yet.

What is there to freak out about?

So it sounds like 5 out of 25-30 programs aren't accepting visiting students. Another handful told you to apply via VSAS, their standard method of accepting applications. Another bunch simply haven't gotten back yet.

What is there to freak out about?

Might've left this out in original post but our school's deadline for our fall schedule is 4/1 and I've got 0 rotations set up and most of the programs I want to audition at don't start accepting apps until April/May and some don't accept until May/June

Edit: You're prob right. I just need to get it done and ask the school for an extension on time. Hopefully, May/June isn't too late to be finalizing 4th year sched.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
DO schools are terrible with advice about residency planning.
You usually won't hear back from a VSAS-elective until 1 month before the start date, so if your schools deadline is 4/1 you are S.O.L.

My advice is cold calling every contact you have and trying to get in to some major university setting, if you can. If you have a connection you can bypass the VSAS system entirely, which always feels good

Reactions: 1 user