Setting up a Handpiece at Home

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sauce

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So because someone violated a safety violation (eating in the lab or not wearing a gown or something) they closed it for everyone this weekend.

This lead me to start wondering if it was possible to somehow set up a handpiece at my apartment? How expensive would it be? How noisy? I am fine if it is a little ghetto just so it is reasonably similar to how it is supposed to run.

Any ideas????

Members don't see this ad.

haha thats funny i think its possible, i've heard of people having portable units.

I have a pedal-powered one at home. Great for cardio and pumpin out class II's at the same time.

Members don't see this ad :)
you will get a lab engine as a third year. No need to be in there on the weekends breathing in plastic teeth matter.

So because someone violated a safety violation (eating in the lab or not wearing a gown or something) they closed it for everyone this weekend.

This lead me to start wondering if it was possible to somehow set up a handpiece at my apartment? How expensive would it be? How noisy? I am fine if it is a little ghetto just so it is reasonably similar to how it is supposed to run.

Any ideas????

Here is one that was recently being sold by a graduating fourth year. They said it had a whisper quiet air compressor (pictured). We recently had two units for sale by fourth years. Both for ~$200-$250 without the air compressor. They are called portable dental units or home dental units. Hookups for air water and high and slow speed hand pieces. I am most likely going to get one for my D2 year since i have about a 30 minute commute and dont want to always be driving to lab on weekends.

I tried uploading more pictures but I am too tired to figure out why it wont let me.

Attachments

• photo (1).JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 123
200? i checked online and the cheapest one is 800 dollars. do you know where they sell it for that cheap cause im really interested in getting one for 2nd year also

200? i checked online and the cheapest one is 800 dollars. do you know where they sell it for that cheap cause im really interested in getting one for 2nd year also

These were all used units for sale from graduating fourth year students. We actually had a rheostat, air/water syringe, and one handpiece hookup setup be sold for 150 on the dental school list serve - not nearly as nice as the picture I posted. I keep trying to be the first to respond to buy them but they sell quickly. Online, they are expensive. I will ask some upper classman what their model was and where they bought it.

Crap, just realized that my attachment was of the air compressor :(

The attachment on this post is a unit for sale $250

Attachments

• photo (2).JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 85