Setting up clinical Rotations in California

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOgirl515

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a student in Texas and have been given permission to set up some of my 3rd year rotations in California. I am in a special program which is very small, and most of our students spend a fair amount of time in the rural community.

I am wondering if anyone has any advice about setting up rotations in California? I am not sure how to go about the entire process? My family and husband are all in Southern California, and this is where I'd like to do my residency. I am really hopeful to set up a few of these rotations in Cali..such as Family med and OB/GYN.

Does anyone have any advice on this subject? Are you able to cold-call family doctors and ask if they will allow you to rotate if they work in a small clinic? Is this considered appropriate? Are only certain doctors allowed to host students for their rotations?

My program has given me permission, but left me somewhat in the dark on how to go about scheduling this.

Please let me know if you have any ideas! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I am a student in Texas and have been given permission to set up some of my 3rd year rotations in California. I am in a special program which is very small, and most of our students spend a fair amount of time in the rural community.

I am wondering if anyone has any advice about setting up rotations in California? I am not sure how to go about the entire process? My family and husband are all in Southern California, and this is where I'd like to do my residency. I am really hopeful to set up a few of these rotations in Cali..such as Family med and OB/GYN.

Does anyone have any advice on this subject? Are you able to cold-call family doctors and ask if they will allow you to rotate if they work in a small clinic? Is this considered appropriate? Are only certain doctors allowed to host students for their rotations?

My program has given me permission, but left me somewhat in the dark on how to go about scheduling this.

Please let me know if you have any ideas! Thanks.

A LOT of programs are on the VSAS system. You will need your school to sign you up and then can look at your options and apply online. Then you are accepted and all credits/evals are completed through the VSAS service.

EDIT: Oh sorry, just realized you were asking about doing Core Clerkship rotations. VSAS may work for some of that but for the most part you probably need to call schools and see if they will allow you. Most medical schools only allow 4th year medical students to do away rotations at their sites. No you would not be able to just go to any clinic as there is education requirements and malpractice issues. Your best bet is to talk to your school and see what they require from these core rotations and get them involved as they will need to be providing your malpractice insurance and transcripts to the schools.