Settle in life or reach for the stars?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abc245

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am deciding on being a physical therapist or a dentist. Both professions I have shadowed and both professions I enjoy the predictability and the environment of both. Each profession has both their pros and cons, so I am wondering if I should just settle or go for the more difficult path, but has much more potential upsides. So here is the list that I can think of in my head. Just fyi I am 26 years old so I feel like I am getting older and need to get started with my life already. Becoming a PT would be quicker route which is something I can probably get in now while becoming a dentist would probably take another year or two. I currently live at home with parents and work a low wage job atm. Just things to consider with my situation.

Physical Therapist
Pros: lifestyle, more attainable for me to achieve (chances of getting in is good I think), pay is average/low 60-75k (although fairly low it is okay), the work environment is fairly chill which I like, job market seems to be pretty good where I live, lots of jobs. One of my best friends is currently in PT school and my brother is a DC which could potentially open up future business practices together, I don't think the burnout for this profession would be high, but I could be bored with it after a bit. I can live in socal where my family is and not be forced to work outside the area.
Cons: tuition is kinda high compared to the income returns (80-150k), income is kinda low which is my biggest gripe about the profession (however I live a pretty modest life and am not a big spender), but I do live in socal which is a bit more expensive, not as prestigious (hate to say it but saying I am a PT doesn't necessarily invoke a proudness within me or anything, family is big on status but then again a job is a job)

Dentist:
Pros: unlimited potential depending on how hard you want to work, financial incentive is there, chance to be my own boss work with whoever I like, prestige (I would be proud to say I am a dentist), the environment is a nice pace that I like, the ability to hustle and produce lots of money depending on how hard I want to work, the older I get the more establish I can be.
cons: DEBT! debt is really high to the point where returns is questionable, saturation is high especially in socal, there is a possibility that I will have to consider moving out of the area that I live in since there is so many dentists around (I could have a longer commute and find my own little niche to succeed), might take a year or two for me to have a shot of getting in and school is around 4 years, added with pulling out another 400k loans to buy my own practice, stress involved with running a business. Becoming debt free will take forever!

Just wanted to hear your thoughts. It is basically me settling in life for a nice complacent life or reaching for the stars per se. Both have their pros and con and are only two professions I like. Want to hear your opinions and what route you would choose and why? If it makes any difference I am an ISTJ type of personality, however I enjoy communicating with people so my I isn't that strong.

Members don't see this ad.

So I am deciding on being a physical therapist or a dentist. Both professions I have shadowed and both professions I enjoy the predictability and the environment of both. Each profession has both their pros and cons, so I am wondering if I should just settle or go for the more difficult path, but has much more potential upsides. So here is the list that I can think of in my head. Just fyi I am 26 years old so I feel like I am getting older and need to get started with my life already. Becoming a PT would be quicker route which is something I can probably get in now while becoming a dentist would probably take another year or two. I currently live at home with parents and work a low wage job atm. Just things to consider with my situation.

Physical Therapist
Pros: lifestyle, more attainable for me to achieve (chances of getting in is good I think), pay is average/low 60-75k (although fairly low it is okay), the work environment is fairly chill which I like, job market seems to be pretty good where I live, lots of jobs. One of my best friends is currently in PT school and my brother is a DC which could potentially open up future business practices together, I don't think the burnout for this profession would be high, but I could be bored with it after a bit. I can live in socal where my family is and not be forced to work outside the area.
Cons: tuition is kinda high compared to the income returns (80-150k), income is kinda low which is my biggest gripe about the profession (however I live a pretty modest life and am not a big spender), but I do live in socal which is a bit more expensive, not as prestigious (hate to say it but saying I am a PT doesn't necessarily invoke a proudness within me or anything, family is big on status but then again a job is a job)

Dentist:
Pros: unlimited potential depending on how hard you want to work, financial incentive is there, chance to be my own boss work with whoever I like, prestige (I would be proud to say I am a dentist), the environment is a nice pace that I like, the ability to hustle and produce lots of money depending on how hard I want to work, the older I get the more establish I can be.
cons: DEBT! debt is really high to the point where returns is questionable, saturation is high especially in socal, there is a possibility that I will have to consider moving out of the area that I live in since there is so many dentists around (I could have a longer commute and find my own little niche to succeed), might take a year or two for me to have a shot of getting in and school is around 4 years, added with pulling out another 400k loans to buy my own practice, stress involved with running a business. Becoming debt free will take forever!

Just wanted to hear your thoughts. It is basically me settling in life for a nice complacent life or reaching for the stars per se. Both have their pros and con and are only two professions I like. Want to hear your opinions and what route you would choose and why? If it makes any difference I am an ISTJ type of personality, however I enjoy communicating with people so my I isn't that strong.
You have valid concerns that you will have to do a ton of research to figure them out. However, your concerns with dentistry is debt and your concern with physical therapy is mostly complacency. As a result, do you want a financial adviser or a psychiatrist for the future?

Remember, we only get ONE life on this planet. Just one. And then we leave forever. Now, if you figure out that you like PT more than dentistry then go for it. That's not complacency.

While 26 is by no means old, it's about time you really settle for a decision that YOU want, not what others think about it. There's a lot of other factors to consider.

For instance, owning a practice is expensive, and you'll most likely have to settle at one location for the next 10-20 years of your life at the least. PT is more flexible in location. Dental school debt is ridiculously high, even for public schools. It also takes longer to pay off as you already know. Is it really worth considering the prestige over practicality? It's your life. The physical therapists I know enjoy their work and they make a decent living off of it. There's also not as many responsibilities as a PT. I personally don't enjoy PT, but it's a good route if you want to make a good living in a shorter period of time with less stress.

Unlimited potential is pushing it. Most dentists make around $140-250k depending on the area. Rarely do they make more than that unless they're in an area of need with high volume or you've been established for a while. Specialties take even longer with more time. But if you manage through, you can make a higher salary and be in the green...when you're like 40.