Several Questions i hope i can get some feedback on

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NBG

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1- I was wondering how much of an advantage is having a somewha unique minor along with a common major is ?
My current plan is to minor in philosophy , however , it is getting really hairy and complicated and i was just kicked out of a foundation class for the upper division classes i need ( reserved for majors only), so i am discouraged and thinking about dropping the idea. But i am worried that i throwing away something that could possibly be an advantage ?

2- Do i have to finish all the lower div requirments before i apply ?
I havent finished my 1 year of math yet ( no calculas II ) , i have taken my MCAT and was wondering if i need to finish that class before i apply next summer.

3- Is staying an extra semester after the first 4 years a bad thing to do ? does it look bad or anything like that ?

Members don't see this ad.

1) unknown. the admissions statistics are roughly the same for each major...not sure how the minor factors in. i dont see any downsides to having a unique major/minor, though. if it hits your gpa even a little, or if the minor takes time from EC's, then its definitely not worth it.

2) you need to finish pre-reqs before you matriculate, not apply, so youre fine. its good imo to have taken most of them, though, so adcoms know where you stand.

3) no it doesnt look bad.

I'm not sure but I think I remember from looking at the applicant statistics sheet for the med school at my undergrad institution that philosophy majors did have quite an edge over biology majors... I can't find this now though so maybe I'm just crazy. Is there any way you could enroll for another philosophy class, or is it too late?

Members don't see this ad :)
having a non-hardscience minor just helps to show that you are well-rounded, but this can be shown in other ways.

as long as you have calc before you matriculate, you'll be fine.

I think now days, taking 4.5-5 years to graduate is fine. I have never heard any school or advisor or student say of someone being looked down upon for taking an extra year. Just make sure and you're productive that year!

1- I was wondering how much of an advantage is having a somewha unique minor along with a common major is ?
My current plan is to minor in philosophy , however , it is getting really hairy and complicated and i was just kicked out of a foundation class for the upper division classes i need ( reserved for majors only), so i am discouraged and thinking about dropping the idea. But i am worried that i throwing away something that could possibly be an advantage ?

2- Do i have to finish all the lower div requirments before i apply ?
I havent finished my 1 year of math yet ( no calculas II ) , i have taken my MCAT and was wondering if i need to finish that class before i apply next summer.

3- Is staying an extra semester after the first 4 years a bad thing to do ? does it look bad or anything like that ?

Minors don't matter. GPA and MCAT scores matter.
You need not finish all the requirments before you apply. You must finish them before you start med school.
Being on the five year plan is no sin.

Minors don't matter. GPA and MCAT scores matter.
You need not finish all the requirments before you apply. You must finish them before you start med school.
Being on the five year plan is no sin.
I hate to find fault with what the great LizzyM of SDN says, but some schools do require you finish the prereqs before applying or at least at some time point before matriculation. I was just rejected from West Virginia University because of this.

I hate to find fault with what the great LizzyM of SDN says, but some schools do require you finish the prereqs before applying or at least at some time point before matriculation. I was just rejected from West Virginia University because of this.

Some time before matriculation means before you start medical school.

One applicant I know was accepted at Harvard, Hopkins, UCSD and at least 4 other schools without having yet finished a full year of Biology.