Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Severe lack of motivation

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by PagingDrP, Dec 7, 2008.

1. PagingDrP

PagingDrP Kind of a big deal
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Anyone else finding it excessively difficult to get through this semester and finals while applying/interviewing/being accepted somewhere...?

I feel like I've taken a 180 as far as school and motivation...I just want to relax and enjoy myself, not do work. I go to a tough top 10 school, where even a little slacking results in B's no questions asked, so I am trying to skid by with all B's...even though my GPA is going to take a major hit...

Is it just me? or is this just part of what the process does to people? Does anyone have tips for getting through finals/regaining motivation to study???

Thanks SDN-ers!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. funkydrmonkey

funkydrmonkey They Call Me Dr. Funkmonk
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I feel the same way and I hate it. This time last year, I studied for one of my finals for 15 hours and forgot to eat, because I was being a good student. Now after every 5 seconds of studying I go on SDN or Cyanide and Happiness, or addictinggames.com for 5 hours... and I am not doing myself a favor...

4. Marjan Islam

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    For me, towards the end of the senior year (when I will be applying), most of my tough classes are done and over with. I have research, creative writing, and bs weekend classes, so I can focus on med. school related stuff.

What classes are you taking? Do not let laziness kill you man! You have def. put too much into this. Remember, med schools look for an upward trend. But it sounds to me like you already sent in your apps, so I do not know how your grades affect you at THIS stage... but knowing this is med. school related, I would not underestimate it.

5. EastCoastie87

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I've gotten a couple of acceptances now, and (with finals week starting tomorrow) my motivation has taken a nose-dive. Hence me posting on SDN when I should be studying like crazy right now.

6. aebvd97

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm definitely feeling it, too. I'm in the library right now writing a paper. It took me about two hours to write 4.5 pages...then I logged on SDN about an hour ago. Since then I think I've managed to write a paragraph.

I would think I would be more motivated given that I am actually graduating Saturday...

7. sully677

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Put down that reefer.

8. Twiigg

Removed

Pre-Medical
    You are not alone.

And I wouldn't give it a second thought if you have an acceptance. ;)

9. EastCoastie87

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Yeeeeeeah, I don't really mind the lack of motivation except when it affects my other classmates (like working on a group project, e.g.). Other than that, my mind checked out when I got that "Congratulations" letter.

10. Scean

Scean whats a goon to a goblin?
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    yeapppp, comprehensive genetics final tomorrow evening, I've only managed about 2 hours of actual study so far and I have absolutely NO motivation left.......Blah

11. migm

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Glad I'm not the only one.

12. chessknt87

Physician 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
    Same here, senioritis + med school acceptance=no motivation to do anything.