Sexism in dental school/dentistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Honestly what seems to be an cause of so much of the perception of sexism, racism, perceived bias against one's self by another, etc, etc, etc is a failure of that individual to be a strong and effective communicator and leader.

If one is a strong, effective leader, regardless of their sex, race, orientation, age, etc you rarely hear any complaints of racism, sexism, age or gender bias, etc. Leadership isn't easy, and it's not a given and takes time to earn it from others. If and when one is able to do that, then the perception that they're being discriminated against in various ways by others seems to disappear. One also at times has to understand that respect as a leader doesn't just happen, it is earned, and earned in various ways. Unfortunately it seems that more and more there;s a mentality of victim-hood that is growing, and frankly inhibiting so many with underlying, but unrealized leadership ability. And sometimes that will require one to accept that not everyone is going to like you, and that's ok

yikes

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Honestly what seems to be an cause of so much of the perception of sexism, racism, perceived bias against one's self by another, etc, etc, etc is a failure of that individual to be a strong and effective communicator and leader.

If one is a strong, effective leader, regardless of their sex, race, orientation, age, etc you rarely hear any complaints of racism, sexism, age or gender bias, etc. Leadership isn't easy, and it's not a given and takes time to earn it from others. If and when one is able to do that, then the perception that they're being discriminated against in various ways by others seems to disappear. One also at times has to understand that respect as a leader doesn't just happen, it is earned, and earned in various ways. Unfortunately it seems that more and more there;s a mentality of victim-hood that is growing, and frankly inhibiting so many with underlying, but unrealized leadership ability. And sometimes that will require one to accept that not everyone is going to like you, and that's ok

Reactions: 4 users

Exactly. This generation is so focused on the -isms that they think that the problem is the system, not themselves. Whatever doesn't kill you should make you stronger. The -isms will always exist, regardless of what you try to do and extinguish it. If you try and extinguish those -isms, they will still exist even if they try to hide it behind a nicely sounded corporate mission statement. Why does race/gender even matter in selecting the best candidate/person for the job? The better approach is to understand why there may be disparities between the race/gender and see if it's a systematic issue or an issue within race/gender preferences.

There are plenty of unintended consequences resulting in trying to force economic equality(or the illusion of equality) in an unequal world. Just as sexism/racism exists. This whole PC/SJW culture... I don't believe in "reverse racism/sexism" to try and even the playing field (i.e racial/gender quotas for admissions/employment), but I do believe in equal opportunity for those with economic means or willpower to elevate themselves from their economic situation. I did not grow up in a wealthy household with all the advantages of rich parents (I wish I did), but I elevated myself from that godforsaken lifestyle to move up. If I can do it, anyone can.

TLDR: Be a strong individual despite how the world is unequal and unfair. If I had kids, I'd probably make them suffer the same things I went through to make them better/stronger individuals. Everyone is babied too much these days. This is a good thing for dentists if you know how to market to those who have been babied/spoiled and don't have the economic means themselves.

Reactions: 1 users