SF Match stipulation on NRMP rank list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BVP

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello

I got matched with a 3 year Neurology program through SF Match and will be participating in the NRMP match for preliminary year internal medicine.

SF Match stipulates one should withdraw from competing PGY2 positions in NRMP if he/she matches with any of the SF Match programs.

My dilemma is about what happens if I do not get matched with any of the preliminary positions and should I rank the 4 year anesthesiology program I attended as the last entry in my NRMP rank list after all my preliminary position ranks.

My idea is if I dont get matched with any of the preliminary positions, my neurology match will get cancelled and I become eligible for the 4 year anesthesiology program without violating the SF match rule.

Appreciate if any one could confirm my assumption or share your idea.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you would have a problem scrambling for a preliminary med/surgery or transitional spot in the event that you didn't match on your rank list.

Basically, it just sounds to me that you're unsure whether you want to do Neurology or Anesthesiology...

My dilemma is not about choosing neurology or anesthesiology. I am afraid scramble for preliminary will be tough and I do not want to end up unmatched.

Thats why I would like to try my luck with the other option I have before going for the scramble.

Umm, I am certain that you won't have a problem srambling into a preliminary year somewhere....where, who knows...but, I don't think that should be a deterant provided that you really want to do neuorolgy...i've never heard of anyone being afraid they want scramble into a prelim...there are many open spots even after the match. if you're that worried then you need to talk to your dean...best of luck

Thanks for the info.