Army SFL TAP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mt Kilimanjaro

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there any way out of the SFL TAP process for physicians who already have a signed employment contract and a start date? I assume the answer is no but have cautious hope…

Members don't see this ad.

For Navy, I had to be there for Day 1 and 5 but not the career training. I actually stuck around and helped the kids write resumes. It was scary how many were going to be homeless if something didn’t fall into their laps.

Reactions: 1 users
Is there any way out of the SFL TAP process for physicians who already have a signed employment contract and a start date? I assume the answer is no but have cautious hope…
I had to do it because I went to a deferred fellowship and honorably discharged from AD to do so. I had my fellowship contract as well as the contract with the AF starting I returned to AD after fellowship... and I still had to do it. It's congressionally mandated (our so I was told).
I too only had to do days 1 and 5 though.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is very heavily command dependent. I've never heard of anyone getting out of it entirely, because there's SO much useful information. Life changing, really.

But, some commands will truncate the experience dramatically depending upon your situation. I had to do about 2 days. My partner at my first duty station had to do the whole thing. We both had contracts in hand.

Oh I’m going to the whole thing! Gotta make out-processing as long as possible like everyone else. It’s the best excuse ever for needing to disappear.

“Yo....where is SSG so-and-so??”
“Oh he’s out-processing”
“....wait, I thought he wasn’t getting out for another 6 months?!”

“Yo where is he at now?!?”
“Turning in his TA-50”
“Wha?!?!? I thought he was doing that 2 months ago?!?”

“Ok...where is he at now?!?!”
“Oh he started terminal leave”
“Well damn”

Reactions: 1 user
Oh I’m going to the whole thing! Gotta make out-processing as long as possible like everyone else. It’s the best excuse ever for needing to disappear.

“Yo....where is SSG so-and-so??”
“Oh he’s out-processing”
“....wait, I thought he wasn’t getting out for another 6 months?!”

“Yo where is he at now?!?”
“Turning in his TA-50”
“Wha?!?!? I thought he was doing that 2 months ago?!?”

“Ok...where is he at now?!?!”
“Oh he started terminal leave”
“Well damn”

It's the perfect opportunity to sham like you're a SPC