SFSU Formal Post-Bacc 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's why the advice you'll get from the advisers is so conservative--they know that it is very hard to fix a GPA brought down by a low grade

How many elective courses did you take during the program? Are certain semesters easier than others to fit electives into?

Members don't see this ad.

Got in!! Any recommendations for classes? anyone needing a guy roommate PM me!

Last edited:
Hey guys I am started sfsu in summer as AET. I was wondering about the financial aid/loans, I have submitted my fafsa, but I have not registered for classes yet. I have not received any thing from financial aid office or award letter? I just wanted to know if someone else have gone through this process and know what to expect next? Do we get letter or something?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys I am started sfsu in summer as AET. I was wondering about the financial aid/loans, I have submitted my fafsa, but I have not registered for classes yet. I have not received any thing from financial aid office or award letter? I just wanted to know if someone else have gone through this process and know what to expect next? Do we get letter or something?

You should very gotten an email with the awards. I received mine on the 10th couple days ago. Or you can log onto your sfsu gateway and it should be there ready for you to accept or decline loans

Thank you for your reply, I went to gate way it say my application is pending hold. I am thinking I forgot to change my status to graduate student went I made correction to 2012 Fafsa may be that is why. I will call the office tomorrow.

The post bacc is actually considered an undergrad so as long as you put undergrad 5yr or something like that you should be fine. But I'd give the office a call to see if you're missing anything

now off to find housing... Anyone who wants a roommate PM me! I'm going apt hunting very soon and hopefully I can land a place in park merced or sunset area

Would any of you who have interviewed this round already mind sharing any questions from the interview that you recall?

Thanks!

Thank you for your reply, I went to gate way it say my application is pending hold. I am thinking I forgot to change my status to graduate student went I made correction to 2012 Fafsa may be that is why. I will call the office tomorrow.

I was really stressing about this, especially since when I logged into SFSU's gateway it said I was inelegible for financial aid, and I knew that I had been awarded aid. Turns out I should have accepted the award online sooner, and also that my previous address was on my profile. I called the financial aid office and they straightened everything else. Barbara Hubler in the FA office was very helpful, and once I changed my address in the SFSU gateway I requested that the paperwork for summer aid be re-sent to my current address.

Hi, quick question: I'm planning on applying to SFSU AET post-bacc and I know that most MD schools don't take grade replacements, so the classes that I will be retaking at SFSU will just be recalculated in my GPA along with the C's that I got in the first place? It is possible to retake C's right? Because it has to be a C- or lower for a retake at my university. Thank you for your help!

Hi, quick question: I'm planning on applying to SFSU AET post-bacc and I know that most MD schools don't take grade replacements, so the classes that I will be retaking at SFSU will just be recalculated in my GPA along with the C's that I got in the first place? It is possible to retake C's right? Because it has to be a C- or lower for a retake at my university. Thank you for your help!

I think they will count as just another course. No replacing of grades. I also have some C's, but I will not be re-taking them. From what I found on SDN, it seems that performing well in upper-division courses that builds on the material of the course you did poor in is much better. Good luck! =)

Aside: Is there a facebook group for AET D yet? I feel that it'd be helpful for people searching for places and a great way to meet everyone!

Yeah cause I'm confused because on that presentation of SFSU Post-Bacc I found online it said:
Academic Enhancer Curriculum
 Retake Pre-Reqs with low grades
 C, C+ = Maybe
 C- and below = Must retake
 Take/Retake 2nd-Tier Science Courses
 Biochemistry, Cell Biology, Genetics,
Anatomy, Physiology, Microbiology
 Take/Retake Advanced Science Courses
 E.g., Cellular Neuro, Endo, Biophysics
 Take/Retake Key "Non-Science" Courses

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty sure there isn't a facebook group yet...

Is everyone starting in the summer? I'm AET but I chose to start in the Fall (taking the DAT over summer). Also, is anyone else pre-dental?!

Hey you guys. I just finished the formal PB program at SFSU. Just thought I'd say that the program is excellent for the most part! They leave you with a good foundation for the MCAT as well. If you work hard you will be rewarded. The atmosphere here is very friendly and cooperative, and the coordinators are super smart but also very down to earth and they really do care about you. The only downside is the campus is perpetually cold/foggy, even when the rest of the city is sunny. But it sure beats extreme summer heat and snowy winters.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure there isn't a facebook group yet...

Is everyone starting in the summer? I'm AET but I chose to start in the Fall (taking the DAT over summer). Also, is anyone else pre-dental?!

Pre dent here and Gluck with the dat! I highly recommend chads videos and the destroyer books.

Also to pyrrion were you a cct? How many classes did you take a sem? And was it manageable? I'm starting this summer and I was advised to take 2 classes per semester while volunteering.. It seems a bit low.

Pre dent here and Gluck with the dat! I highly recommend chads videos and the destroyer books.

Also to pyrrion were you a cct? How many classes did you take a sem? And was it manageable? I'm starting this summer and I was advised to take 2 classes per semester while volunteering.. It seems a bit low.

I was a formal PB student (which they call a "career changer"). Is 3 classes overkill? It depends on the class, your ability, your motivation, and your extracurricular situation. Personally I took 3 classes and volunteered over the summer, but usually 2 is more than enough to keep you occupied because the summer schedule is so condensed. Also you're aiming for an A, not an A-, so you do need to go the extra mile. It also depends on the class: Taking Orgo I and Biochem as your two would be significantly harder than, say, a public health class and statistics (unless you're terrible at math or something). Generally the classes were easier than what I encountered at UC Berkeley as an undergraduate.

Hey everyone :D

I submitted my application for Fall '13 AET a few days ago, just wondering if there are others in the same boat as me? Seems like a lot of people are starting in Summer though.

How long after the application deadline did you guys hear back regarding interviews?

Hi guys,

I'm kind of torn between the 2... I was admitted to both postbac programs and have a hard time choosing so maybe you guys can weigh in!

I was born and raised in San Francisco and I love my city, my family and friends are here and I can live at home and the campus is just a 10 minute drive so I can save a substantial chunk of change right there. It would cost me about $15,000 to attend SFSU.

However, during my UCD interview, I felt very comfortable and relaxed. The environment and people there were really helpful and showed what kind of program it really was. The cost to attend would be about $25,000.

I understand that UCD has a school of medicine and is more reputable, but aside from that, is there anything else? I've researched into both schools and they have a similar success rate and program structure. Any thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Hi heart1,

I can't give much input on the SFSU or UCD programs themselves...But I went to high school in Davis and my family currently lives in Sacramento and my father also does research at the Med Center. My opinion is that the UCD med school is more reputable, like you said, and it is really rising in prominence these last few years. Lots of cutting-edge research and innovations here. The main hospital here is a fascinating place too, but I'm sure UCSF is just as good (if not more impressive).

The only downside to Sacramento (from my point of view) is that it's kind of isolated here and there's not much to do otherwise. It's kind of a boring place (but rent is A LOT cheaper)...but then again, you'd only be 1.5 hours away from home, so it's not too far. UCD is the northern-most med school in CA and I remember one of the admission officers saying that they have a slightly higher preference for NorCal med students.

If it were me, I'd pick UCD just because the overal medical experience here would be better and you would have the opportunity for great networking/connections. Stay in SF if you want to be closer to home and the city life, but also think about where you want to head for med school in the future (would you be willing to go to UCD or try your chances at UCSF/others?)

Oh yeah, keep in mind that it gets ridiculously hot and dry here over the summer, this weekend is supposed to be 105+ ahhh lol. And during the winter, it's cold and dry >.< I dunno how much weather influences your everyday activities...

To address the two points below, retaking Cs and C+s are not as useful for MD schools because all grades are averaged anyway. You MUST retake C-s, as some schools don't accept grades C-s and lower.

However, if you realistically gauge your chances at medical schools, you'll find that retaking some C grades might be really useful for DO schools, since they do grade replacement. Your AACOMAS GPA would be a lot higher than your AMCAS GPA.

I think they will count as just another course. No replacing of grades. I also have some C's, but I will not be re-taking them. From what I found on SDN, it seems that performing well in upper-division courses that builds on the material of the course you did poor in is much better. Good luck! =)

Aside: Is there a facebook group for AET D yet? I feel that it'd be helpful for people searching for places and a great way to meet everyone!

Yeah cause I'm confused because on that presentation of SFSU Post-Bacc I found online it said:
Academic Enhancer Curriculum
&#61550; Retake Pre-Reqs with low grades
&#61558; C, C+ = Maybe
&#61558; C- and below = Must retake
&#61550; Take/Retake 2nd-Tier Science Courses
&#61558; Biochemistry, Cell Biology, Genetics,
Anatomy, Physiology, Microbiology
&#61550; Take/Retake Advanced Science Courses
&#61558; E.g., Cellular Neuro, Endo, Biophysics
&#61550; Take/Retake Key “Non-Science” Courses

anyone else apply for Fall 2013 admission? I spoke to Dr. Rothman a few days after the deadline for submission and he said that promising candidates will be contacted for interviews roughly three weeks after the deadline.

Good luck everybody!

I submitted my application for the Fall 2012 AET and got accepted however I deferred my start date until Fall 2013. It took them about a month to get back to me about interviews and then I had my interview around the middle of July. Goodluck to those of you applying this cycle!

anyone else apply for Fall 2013 admission? I spoke to Dr. Rothman a few days after the deadline for submission and he said that promising candidates will be contacted for interviews roughly three weeks after the deadline.

Good luck everybody!

hey! so i called in today bc i was a little confused about the admissions process and the rolling admissions etc.

i would be applying as AET, and the woman i spoke to said they're still accepting applications for Fall 2013 until the end of July. i asked if it would be worth applying since i'd be applying "late" and so close to the deadline. but she said they don't review any applications until the deadline. although she diiiid mention that they do notice the order that applicants turn in their apps. she said they still review all the turned in apps.

did you already apply? should I just wait until the January cohort?

hey! so i called in today bc i was a little confused about the admissions process and the rolling admissions etc.

i would be applying as AET, and the woman i spoke to said they're still accepting applications for Fall 2013 until the end of July. i asked if it would be worth applying since i'd be applying "late" and so close to the deadline. but she said they don't review any applications until the deadline. although she diiiid mention that they do notice the order that applicants turn in their apps. she said they still review all the turned in apps.

did you already apply? should I just wait until the January cohort?

oh that's interesting! I thought the deadline was June 1st for AET fall admission, so I already turned my application in. But I did hear the same thing from them--that they don't start evaluating applications until the deadline, so I would go ahead and apply! You have a month and a half from what they've told you!

I'm not sure what is appropriate for section 7 of the personal statement ("Use this space to include any additional information you would like to bring to the admission committee's attention."). What kind of information are they referring to? Any help would be great! I have so many things to talk about but need to plan accordingly given the limited space.

Hey you guys. I just finished the formal PB program at SFSU. Just thought I'd say that the program is excellent for the most part! They leave you with a good foundation for the MCAT as well. If you work hard you will be rewarded. The atmosphere here is very friendly and cooperative, and the coordinators are super smart but also very down to earth and they really do care about you. The only downside is the campus is perpetually cold/foggy, even when the rest of the city is sunny. But it sure beats extreme summer heat and snowy winters.

Thank you for your insight!

I'm interested in applying as an AET for the Fall Term and just wanted to get some honest feedback on the qualifications of what they're looking at in terms of GPA for acceptance. If you don't mind sharing, what were your stats when you applied? Or, if you know, what was about the average stats of people in your program? And did you know any students that showed significantly low Science GPA's?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions but I just want to get a feel of the program!

I submitted my application for the Fall 2012 AET and got accepted however I deferred my start date until Fall 2013. It took them about a month to get back to me about interviews and then I had my interview around the middle of July. Goodluck to those of you applying this cycle!

Congrats!!! If you don't mind me asking, I'm trying to get a better feel at my chances of applying to these Post Bacc programs...and was looking to see the stats of students admitted. The website doesn't have specifics on stats of accepted students and in calling I wasn't given much help either. Is it truly a holistic view of student potential?...or is it still very much so a numbers game for these AET Post Baccs?

Any advice or light you could shine on my curiosity would be much appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

As for the status of applications for the June 1st deadline for Fall AET, I received my invitation for an interview this afternoon. Looks like they're going out!

Just wondering, did they contact you via email or something else? I applied before the deadline and still anxiously waiting!

Hi I also applied for Fall '13. I just called the office and they said I would be hearing back by the end of last week at the latest...Who else have gotten in? I'm anxiously waiting!

Hi I also applied for Fall '13. I just called the office and they said I would be hearing back by the end of last week at the latest...Who else have gotten in? I'm anxiously waiting!

Do you mean the end of this week?

Congrats!!! If you don't mind me asking, I'm trying to get a better feel at my chances of applying to these Post Bacc programs...and was looking to see the stats of students admitted. The website doesn't have specifics on stats of accepted students and in calling I wasn't given much help either. Is it truly a holistic view of student potential?...or is it still very much so a numbers game for these AET Post Baccs?

Any advice or light you could shine on my curiosity would be much appreciated!

Thank you in advance!
I only applied to a couple of AET post bac programs, so I can't give you a concrete answer since each program is different. I applied to CSULA and with them it seemed like it was as you said, "a numbers game". In terms of SFSU, I believe numbers do definitely play a role, but once you get past the numbers, they truly want to see your potential and your drive for what you want to do. And that's what I really appreciate about the program. Good luck with you apps!

Could anyone give me some insight to the SF State formal postbaccalaureate program versus the UCB Extension program? Pros and cons, that sort of thing? Thank you!

How many elective courses did you take during the program? Are certain semesters easier than others to fit electives into?
Biochem and Genetics. They can fit after you finish the year of O-Chem and Physics.

Might be the wrong thread for this, but does anyone know how difficult it is to get into pre-req classes through Open U? I'm planning on taking general biology next semester and need to know what my chances are in terms of being able to enroll so I can plan accordingly.

Could anyone give me some insight to the SF State formal postbaccalaureate program versus the UCB Extension program? Pros and cons, that sort of thing? Thank you!

UCB Extension cons:
No committee letter
Night classes
Classes once per week (3 hours long)
Lectures all over the place (may be on campus or as far as Belmont, which is far on the other side of the Bay)
Less of a sense of community. SFSU students are close-knit and collaborative.

UCB Extension pros:
Cheaper per unit cost
Night classes (if you're into that)
I've heard some of the courses are way easier than at SFSU, but it's hearsay
It is cheaper to live in Berkeley than SF, even in the Sunset, which is cheap for SF.
Berkeley has nicer weather than the SFSU part of SF

The committee letter was so important to me I chose SFSU over UCB even though I lived literally across the street from UCB and am a Berkeley alumnus.