sgpa: 3.3 overall: 3.6 MCAT 503 masters gpa: 3.9

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sciencenerd1441

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am a bit confused by the new MCAT scores and wanted to see if I could get some insight!

My story is as follows:

Undergrad sGPA: 3.3 otherGPA: 3.7 overall 3.6

Masters GPA: 3.9

New mcat score: 503
Physical 125
Verbal 126
Biological 126
Psyc 126

I received two bachelors degrees from my undergrad in Biomedical Science and Psychology. Following graduation, I worked as a Medical Assistant at an orthopedic practice for one year. I am in my second year of my Masters working on a Thesis in Biomedical Science. I have an extreme amount of leadership and extracurriculars including mission trips, and experience working one on one with Autistic children at a preschool. I am number one in my class in my masters.

From everything i have read about the new MCAT, anything above a 500 should be deemed as competitive, but we all know this probably won't end up being the case. I have my goals set on UAB, their minimum scores for interview possibility are a 24 old MCAT and a 492 new MCAT. This 492 seems strange to me, as if you convert it, it would be around a 19. I am well above this minimum, but after calling the school for more information on competitiveness, there was not much more they would/could offer.

Please let me know what you guys think or any advice you may have. I am applying to DO schools as well, especially from the school which I am getting my Masters, however, I just wanted to find out if its worth it to apply to UAB.

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

adding to this:

around 2000 clinical shadowing hours, 3 years of research not including current thesis

Hi everyone,

I am a bit confused by the new MCAT scores and wanted to see if I could get some insight!

My story is as follows:

Undergrad sGPA: 3.3 otherGPA: 3.7 overall 3.6

Masters GPA: 3.9

New mcat score: 503
Physical 125
Verbal 126
Biological 126
Psyc 126

I received two bachelors degrees from my undergrad in Biomedical Science and Psychology. Following graduation, I worked as a Medical Assistant at an orthopedic practice for one year. I am in my second year of my Masters working on a Thesis in Biomedical Science. I have an extreme amount of leadership and extracurriculars including mission trips, and experience working one on one with Autistic children at a preschool. I am number one in my class in my masters.

From everything i have read about the new MCAT, anything above a 500 should be deemed as competitive, but we all know this probably won't end up being the case. I have my goals set on UAB, their minimum scores for interview possibility are a 24 old MCAT and a 492 new MCAT. This 492 seems strange to me, as if you convert it, it would be around a 19. I am well above this minimum, but after calling the school for more information on competitiveness, there was not much more they would/could offer.

Please let me know what you guys think or any advice you may have. I am applying to DO schools as well, especially from the school which I am getting my Masters, however, I just wanted to find out if its worth it to apply to UAB.

Thanks so much!

A 500 is not competitive for MD schools. And a 24 on the old MCAT is around a 498 not a 492.

Your stats as is are fine for many DO schools but all in all too low for MDs. The 3.3 sGPA is below the 10th percentile at tons of lower tier MD programs as is the 503 MCAT(which translates to a 27 on the old scale). Having one of those if the other was very high might get you in somewhere; but having BOTH the 3.3 sGPA and 27 MCAT will most likely be lethal.

Maybe try your state MD schools and see what happens but it's best to spend time on DO schools and there are many of them you can be competitive for which is the good news.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your response. Thats exactly my confusion. UAB site says 24 old mcat and 492 new mcat for interview. Why is there this difference in numbers? If based on a 492, I am set for an interview at the very least at UAB which is my home state residency.

Does the masters do nothing to help my undergrad GPA as it is a 3.9 science gpa now?

@GrapesofRath

Taken directly from UAB's admissions website:

The minimal total MCAT score is 24 for the old MCAT or a total score of 492 for MCAT2015 (new MCAT) on either of the most recent MCAT tests reported. The committee will look at both old and new MCAT scores and if either meets the 24 (most recent on old exam) or 492 (most recent on new) then the MCAT minimum for consideration for interview is met.

If a 500 is not competitive, why would you meet interview criteria at a 492?

Last edited:
side note: from what I have researched on SDN, people have talked about it being okay to apply to schools as long as you are at least in the 10th percentile for that school on MSAR. I meet UAB for MCAT and sGPA, or not far off. I know this isn't a stellar chance, but a chance none the least. Am I completely crazy?

26 for mcat and 3.3 sGPA

UAB is a long shot (assuming Non-URM status), so I would apply to many DO programs. In fact, I may even suggest applying only to UAB and South, then applying to all DO programs (including ACOM and the new EVCOM-Auburn campus).

side note: from what I have researched on SDN, people have talked about it being okay to apply to schools as long as you are at least in the 10th percentile for that school on MSAR. I meet UAB for MCAT and sGPA, or not far off. I know this isn't a stellar chance, but a chance none the least. Am I completely crazy?

26 for mcat and 3.3 sGPA

First off if you aren't in-state UAB is a complete waste of time. Zero chance OOS with those stats unfortunately. As for the 492 vs 24: don't worry about that. Nobody is getting in with a 24 regardless unless there is a significant hook(ie URM, legacy, military status etc).

If you are IS like I said above it is worth applying to your state MD schools and seeing what happens. UAB interviews a high percentage of IS applicants, maybe you can be lucky and be in that group. The 10th percentile rule is usually for sGPA OR MCAT: ie some with a 3.35 sGPA and an MCAT that is at the median of a school might be competitive. Or to maybe a lesser extent, someone who is at the 10th percentile MCAT wise and has a sGPA that is at least the median of a school might have a shot at being competitive as well. But when you are talking about BOTH being 10th percentile that makes things alot more difficult. There are simply too many other applicants who will have stats higher than that. But like I said, apply if IS, see what happens. But your focus should be on DO schools where a good number of them will be completely fine with your stats.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you only applying to one school? If not where else are you applying. And please don't be so defensive. You asked for advice and people are trying to help you.

Thank you and No i haven't gotten defensive, i just asked for an explanation of why UAB is saying 492 new/24 old MCAT. I am well above 492 for interview, this is not for secondaries. This is why I am confused Why would you interview as low as 492? This is the only MD school i am applying to, and yes I am in state candidate for this school.

GA-PCOM
PCOM
VCOM (auburn campus)
ACOM

those are my other schools. Also, like i asked above- does my masters not count for anything?? How does this not play a factor in raising my sGPA? With the 3.9 masters, and within 10% percentile MCAT, 10% percentile undergrad GPA, does that not count for a shot at strictly UAB?

Thank you!

@candbgirl I am unsure of why you thought I was being defensive in any way. I just was showing by copying UABs information where I got the 492 from and why this number is confusing. I understand that they don't take anyone with minimums unless you are an exception, however, the min for the new score is 11 points lower than my mcat. Was hoping this was a good thing... not getting defensive.

First off if you aren't in-state UAB is a complete waste of time. Zero chance OOS with those stats unfortunately. As for the 492 vs 24: don't worry about that. Nobody is getting in with a 24 regardless unless there is a significant hook(ie URM, legacy, military status etc).

If you are IS like I said above it is worth applying to your state MD schools and seeing what happens. UAB interviews a high percentage of IS applicants, maybe you can be lucky and be in that group. The 10th percentile rule is usually for sGPA OR MCAT: ie some with a 3.35 sGPA and an MCAT that is at the median of a school might be competitive. Or to maybe a lesser extent, someone who is at the 10th percentile MCAT wise and has a sGPA that is at least the median of a school might have a shot at being competitive as well. But when you are talking about BOTH being 10th percentile that makes things alot more difficult. There are simply too many other applicants who will have stats higher than that. But like I said, apply if IS, see what happens. But your focus should be on DO schools where a good number of them will be completely fine with your stats.

Thank you!

Please keep in expectations in line. Somehow you are optimistic that you barely meet the 10% of matriculants. Keep in mind these students usually have military experience,URM, or some significant life experience. Also, UAB states those are the minimum stats required for a possibility of interview (again, mainly for applicants with military, URM, or some significant life experience), not a guarantee for an interview. Nonetheless, good luck! And let us know how everything goes!

Please keep in expectations in line. Somehow you are optimistic that you barely meet the 10% of matriculants. Keep in mind these students usually have military experience,URM, or some significant life experience. Also, UAB states those are the minimum stats required for a possibility of interview (again, mainly for applicants with military, URM, or some significant life experience), not a guarantee for an interview. Nonetheless, good luck! And let us know how everything goes!

Being in a Master's program at a medical school, I have seen a lot of underdogs do incredibly well, I guess this is why I am optimistic. If you at least meet the stats, sometimes there is a shot, even if its slim. I am only concerned with my low shot... I do not at all think I would at the top of applicants haha This is why I am only applying to DO schools other than UAB.

My questions still remains however, what about my masters gpa as well as mcat 11 points above new mcat minimum? I have also read on the AAMC resource guide on the new mcat that the goal of this new mcat was to emphasize the top of the curve and not the top 1/3. I lie right at the top of this curve. What do you guys think about this information? Is it merely a dream?

Being in a Master's program at a medical school, I have seen a lot of underdogs do incredibly well, I guess this is why I am optimistic. If you at least meet the stats, sometimes there is a shot, even if its slim. I am only concerned with my low shot... I do not at all think I would at the top of applicants haha This is why I am only applying to DO schools other than UAB.

My questions still remains however, what about my masters gpa as well as mcat 11 points above new mcat minimum? I have also read on the AAMC resource guide on the new mcat that the goal of this new mcat was to emphasize the top of the curve and not the top 1/3. I lie right at the top of this curve. What do you guys think about this information? Is it merely a dream?

In all honesty, I'm not sure how ADCOMs are going to interpret the new MCAT. Though the intention was to deemphasize the test, I still can't imagine ADCOMs NOT comparing applicants by MCAT scores. I don't see them checking an applicant to see if they are above the minimum, then completely disregarding the exam (though this in theory would be awesome, considering MCATs >28 usually have around the same success in terms of passing STEP). As far as your masters gpa, that's awesome! Some ADCOMs may overlook your MCAT with your success towards the end of your academic career. All in all, I just want you to understand your situation, as your new MCAT is equivalent to 27, while UAB and South had average matriculant of 31 last year (one would assume it would be higher this year).

The silver lining is that UAB received 436 IS applications and interviewed 266 (61%). Home state always favors the home crowd.

Last edited:
I can only speculate, but my notion is that UAB is cutting people more slack on the new test because it's, well, a new test. You should be considering more DO schools, such as VCOM, VCOM-SC, KYCOM, Wm Carey, LMU, Nova, LECOM-B, AT Still, and CUSOM.

Your MS counts a lot but the low MCAT score doesn't help for MD schools. Since it's a seller's market, they can handily turn away candidates like yourself. U WV and U So AL are other MD schools that might be worth considering, because your score is at the 10th%ile...I consider you to be in striking distance of competitiveness for these schools, in terms of your MCAT score.

i just asked for an explanation of why UAB is saying 492 new/24 old MCAT. I am well above 492 for interview, this is not for secondaries. This is why I am confused Why would you interview as low as 492? This is the only MD school i am applying to, and yes I am in state candidate for this school.

those are my other schools. Also, like i asked above- does my masters not count for anything?? How does this not play a factor in raising my sGPA? With the 3.9 masters, and within 10% percentile MCAT, 10% percentile undergrad GPA, does that not count for a shot at strictly UAB?

We'll use percentages, and all schools like taking the best, so AAMC's thesis will be ignored.

In all honesty, I'm not sure how ADCOMs are going to interpret the new MCAT. Though the intention to was to deemphasize the test, I still can't imagine ADCOMs NOT comparing applicants by MCAT scores. I don't see them checking an applicant to see if they are above the minimum, then completely disregarding the exam (though this in theory would be awesome, considering MCATs >28 usually have around the same success in terms of passing STEP). As far as your masters gpa, that's awesome! Some ADCOMs may overlook your MCAT with your success towards the end of your academic career. All in all, I just want you to understand your situation, as your new MCAT is equivalent to 27, while UAB and South had average matriculant of 31 last year (one would assume it would be higher this year).

The silver lining is that UAB received 436 IS applications and interviewed 266 (61%), so your chances of landing an interview are greater than a coin flip.

Is the Masters an SMP? If it is an SMP and that is your SMP GPA then I'm inclined to say re-take the MCAT and if you can get a 510+ you open up alot more doors. If it's just a generic masters well......that's not gonna do a lot for you and Goro's advice of sticking to state schools and maybe WVU/Oakland/Albany/NYMC stands.

As others have said minimum stats are next to useless. You aren't the type of applicant a school will consider with minimum stats(ie URM, military veterans etc). Your saving grace is you live in a VERY lucky state; both UAB and 'Bama interview at least half their IS applicants but it's still a rather dicey proposition.

It is SMP, yes. UAB is my home state school, I would rather go ahead this year. I will be happy with a DO acceptance as well, I just didn't want to apply to UAB if there's absolutely no chance, but it seems since it's my home state school there may be some low shot in the dark. I would rather not wait another cycle.

It is SMP, yes. UAB is my home state school, I would rather go ahead this year. I will be happy with a DO acceptance as well, I just didn't want to apply to UAB if there's absolutely no chance, but it seems since it's my home state school there may be some low shot in the dark. I would rather not wait another cycle.

Give it a go see what happens. There is some linkage perhaps with UAB's SMP program so see how that goes. Like I said you live in a very lucky state and if you aced the SMP I don't think the 3.3 sGPA really is that damaging.