sGPA 3.88 cGPA 3.92, MCAT 33, EC's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zhopv10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just got my MCAT back and frankly I'm pretty disappointed but oh well, so I already have my app in and invites for secondaries so this post is more to see if I should not bother sending in some secondaries.

First some more background as mentioned in the title sGPA is 3.88 cGPA is 3.92 MCAT is 33 (11Ps, 10VR, 12 BS). My extracurriculars are as follows: 90 hrs shadowing a wide range of specialties (mostly all for a smaller amount of time though 3-12 hrs the longest one is 16 hrs.), clinical exposure: I was a CNA for a year and a half and now I am a medical dispatcher (not really clinical but ya I got close to a 1000 hrs with the CNA and tons of experiences and such), I have 700 hrs of research over 2 years with a publication that is about to be submitted a couple of poster presentations and again lots of experiences (I study study synaptic plasticity, using single-cell, real-time PCR), my service is about 400 hrs with Utah Special Olympics as a program director and coach as well some 30 hours with Utah Heart to Home group and then another 40ish hours with a couple of misc. groups. For hobbies I put down downhill mtn biking, cooking, tennis, basketball and other sports and LDS proselytizing mission. Also I am a Utah resident.

So here is my school list I have gotten a secondary from pretty much all of them except the texas schools because because the app itself has not been verified yet. I am aware that these take mostly instate students but I wanted to apply anyway because I have a lot of ties down there. again the idea here is to see if there are any that I just shouldn't realistically bother sending in an secondary to.

1.University of Utah (#1 pick)
2.Baylor
3.Creighton
4.Duke
5.UNC chapel hill
6.Eastern Virginia
7.Loma Linda
8.Stanford
9.Washington U St. Louis (secondary already sent might have been a waste of money :( )
10. Oregon Health and Science University
11. Arizona State (both of them)
12. Northwestern
13. University of Rochester
14. University of Colorado
15 UT Houston
16 UT San Antonio
17 UT Galveston
18 UT Southwestern
19. The D.O school in Texas
20. University of Virgina
21. Virginia Commonwealth
22. University of Rochester
23. Vanderbilt
24. Virginia Tech Carilion
25. Wake Forest

I believe that is all of them, let me know what you guys think! thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So I just got my MCAT back and frankly I'm pretty disappointed but oh well, so I already have my app in and invites for secondaries so this post is more to see if I should not bother sending in some secondaries.

First some more background as mentioned in the title sGPA is 3.88 cGPA is 3.92 MCAT is 33 (11Ps, 10VR, 12 BS). My extracurriculars are as follows: 90 hrs shadowing a wide range of specialties (mostly all for a smaller amount of time though 3-12 hrs the longest one is 16 hrs.), clinical exposure: I was a CNA for a year and a half and now I am a medical dispatcher (not really clinical but ya I got close to a 1000 hrs with the CNA and tons of experiences and such), I have 700 hrs of research over 2 years with a publication that is about to be submitted a couple of poster presentations and again lots of experiences (I study study synaptic plasticity, using single-cell, real-time PCR), my service is about 400 hrs with Utah Special Olympics as a program director and coach as well some 30 hours with Utah Heart to Home group and then another 40ish hours with a couple of misc. groups. For hobbies I put down downhill mtn biking, cooking, tennis, basketball and other sports and LDS proselytizing mission. Also I am a Utah resident.

So here is my school list I have gotten a secondary from pretty much all of them except the texas schools because because the app itself has not been verified yet. I am aware that these take mostly instate students but I wanted to apply anyway because I have a lot of ties down there. again the idea here is to see if there are any that I just shouldn't realistically bother sending in an secondary to.

1.University of Utah (#1 pick)
2.Baylor
3.Creighton
4.Duke
5.UNC chapel hill
6.Eastern Virginia
7.Loma Linda
8.Stanford
9.Washington U St. Louis (secondary already sent might have been a waste of money :( )
10. Oregon Health and Science University
11. Arizona State (both of them)
12. Northwestern
15 UT Houston
16 UT San Antonio
17 UT Galveston
18 UT Southwestern
19. The D.O school in Texas
20. University of Virgina
23. Vanderbilt
25. Wake Forest

I believe that is all of them, let me know what you guys think! thanks!

http://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en/careers.html

Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't bother sending in UNC's secondary. If you have really strong ties to TX, they may be worth the money to apply if money isn't an issue. Other than that, I think the rest of them are worth a shot (besides Wash U, but since you sent that in already...)

Unless you're a Texas resident, applying to public Texas schools is pretty much a waste of time (assuming your stats aren't those of a demigod).

The avg MCAT score will hurt with public schools further away from UT (but definitely try U CO).

My list

1.University of Utah
2.Baylor (maybe)
3.Creighton
4.Duke (maybe)
6.Eastern Virginia
7.Loma Linda
11. Arizona State (both of them) [check if they're OOS friendly; I don't have my MSAR handy]
19. The D.O school in Texas (TCOM)
23. Vanderbilt
25. Wake Forest
ALL PA schools except Pitt, Commonwealth and U PA
ALL new MD programs
TUCOM-NV
Rocky Mt Vista
Albany
Both DC schools
BU
Tufts
Einstein
Mt Sinai
NYU (maybe)
Rush
MCW
Loyola
Tulane
Emory (maybe)

Thanks for the feedback guys! I agree with ya on the texas schools but none of them have a secondary except southwestern and the d.o. school so money isn't really much of an issue with that, I just figured I have family down there and would love to go so why not, ha. Thanks for the heads up on the other out of state schools, when I did my original AMCAS i tried to choose some that were more friendly to OOS but then that MCAT came in and rather hurt things, bummer :( Ah well, thanks for the heads up on UNC and the perspective for the Texas schools. Also, thanks for posting your school list Goro!
Also guys I decided to drop Stanford, I just figured getting in there was too much of a long shot for the money and time (their secondary is fairly gnarly) wise decision?

P.S. when I said none of the Texas schools have secondaries except the ones listed I meant TMDSAS schools, Baylor has one but I already sent it in.