sGPA 3.97, cGPA 3.96 |509 MCAT - School List!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

catie_jane

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I posted a WAMC thread before I took the MCAT and just got my scores back today! So I figured I would update my post!

C/P - 128
CARS - 125
B/B - 129
P/S - 127
Total = 509

Biology major/ Pysch minor - graduated 2015
-21 yo
-sGPA: 3.97 (Graduated valedictorian of my class ~550)
-cGPA: 3.96
-small liberal arts school in MA
-CT resident
-SES disadvantaged (government aid growing up, paid most of undergrad through scholarships and working 20+ hours a week)

RESEARCH
-Research assistant through Brown University. Worked on 2 NIH funded studies and worked with patients suffering from bipolar disorder and depression (~1 year)
-Presented poster as first author at national conference in Boston MA
-Co-author on peer-reviewed article published in Journal of Psychiatric Practice

-Granted a research fellowship at my undergrad and worked in a microbiology lab where I worked on characterizing new species of bacteria (~1.5 years).
Completed and defended and honors thesis
-Part of my fellowship I supervised and mentored 2 students in the lab who were transferring from CC to our undergrad
-Presented poster as first author at MassMyco Meeting
-Publication as 1st author currently in the works (hopefully submit sometime this month)

CLINICAL/SHADOWING
-Internship/Shadowing in the ED for 1 summer (~200 hours)
-Offered a scribe job by the hospital I shadowed at and have been working as an ED scribe (~2 years)
-Brief stint as a scribe in orthopedic surgery (~1 month)

VOLUNTEERING
-Volunteered in a locked psychiatric ward at the VA (~50 hours)
-Volunteered in a special needs classroom for 1 semester (~50 hours)
-Habitat for Humanity (~1 year) - but not on AMCAS application

OTHER EC'S
-Commuter rep on SGA Class of 2015 Committee (~2 years) - committee of the year both years. Took on a personal project where I worked with MassDOT to place crosswalks at entrances of school
-Tutor/TA/PLTL Leader for Cell Biology, Biological Principles, Orgo I and II, and General Chemistry II (~3 years)
-Worked at an animal hospital as a kennel attendent (~1 year)
-Assistant manager for the catering department for my schools food company (~3 years)

AWARDS
- 2015 Outstanding Biology Student
-Organic Chemistry Award

10 great LOR (PI's, science faculty, non-science, 2 physicians, and bosses) - will get a committee letter

My current school list:
Albany
UCONN
NYMC
Loyola
Case Western (reach I know)
Tufts
GWU
Drexel
Temple
Hofstra
UVM
Jefferson
Mt. Sinai (reach I know)
Quinnipiac

I have not updated my school list completely because I am not sure what a 509 (80th percentile) correlates too in terms of the old MCAT and using MSAR. I think based on efle's post it is a 30-31?

I also have updates regarding my activites:

-Began volunteering at a hospice center
-Habitat for Humanity (didn't have a place to put in AMCAS but have in secondary applications)
-First author publication should be submitted by September 1st

Members don't see this ad.

Case and Mt Sinai will appreciate the donations in the form of your app fees.

Suggest swapping them out for NYITCOM, UNECOM and PCOM instead.

Hey everyone!

I posted a WAMC thread before I took the MCAT and just got my scores back today! So I figured I would update my post!

C/P - 128
CARS - 125
B/B - 129
P/S - 127
Total = 509

Biology major/ Pysch minor - graduated 2015
-21 yo
-sGPA: 3.97 (Graduated valedictorian of my class ~550)
-cGPA: 3.96
-small liberal arts school in MA
-CT resident
-SES disadvantaged (government aid growing up, paid most of undergrad through scholarships and working 20+ hours a week)

RESEARCH
-Research assistant through Brown University. Worked on 2 NIH funded studies and worked with patients suffering from bipolar disorder and depression (~1 year)
-Presented poster as first author at national conference in Boston MA
-Co-author on peer-reviewed article published in Journal of Psychiatric Practice

-Granted a research fellowship at my undergrad and worked in a microbiology lab where I worked on characterizing new species of bacteria (~1.5 years).
Completed and defended and honors thesis
-Part of my fellowship I supervised and mentored 2 students in the lab who were transferring from CC to our undergrad
-Presented poster as first author at MassMyco Meeting
-Publication as 1st author currently in the works (hopefully submit sometime this month)

CLINICAL/SHADOWING
-Internship/Shadowing in the ED for 1 summer (~200 hours)
-Offered a scribe job by the hospital I shadowed at and have been working as an ED scribe (~2 years)
-Brief stint as a scribe in orthopedic surgery (~1 month)

VOLUNTEERING
-Volunteered in a locked psychiatric ward at the VA (~50 hours)
-Volunteered in a special needs classroom for 1 semester (~50 hours)
-Habitat for Humanity (~1 year) - but not on AMCAS application

OTHER EC'S
-Commuter rep on SGA Class of 2015 Committee (~2 years) - committee of the year both years. Took on a personal project where I worked with MassDOT to place crosswalks at entrances of school
-Tutor/TA/PLTL Leader for Cell Biology, Biological Principles, Orgo I and II, and General Chemistry II (~3 years)
-Worked at an animal hospital as a kennel attendent (~1 year)
-Assistant manager for the catering department for my schools food company (~3 years)

AWARDS
- 2015 Outstanding Biology Student
-Organic Chemistry Award

10 great LOR (PI's, science faculty, non-science, 2 physicians, and bosses) - will get a committee letter

My current school list:
Albany
UCONN
NYMC
Loyola
Case Western (reach I know)
Tufts
GWU
Drexel
Temple
Hofstra
UVM
Jefferson
Mt. Sinai (reach I know)
Quinnipiac

I have not updated my school list completely because I am not sure what a 509 (80th percentile) correlates too in terms of the old MCAT and using MSAR. I think based on efle's post it is a 30-31?

I also have updates regarding my activites:

-Began volunteering at a hospice center
-Habitat for Humanity (didn't have a place to put in AMCAS but have in secondary applications)
-First author publication should be submitted by September 1st

Members don't see this ad :)

I did not sumnit an AAMCOS application this cycle just AMCAS. Any other MD schools you would suggest. I'm going to look at MSAR tonight but I wasn't sure what my score would translate too in terms of schools 10th percentile cutoffs

And I wasn't sure how to go about using MSAR due to my GPA and MCAT scores

80th percentile is a 31. Focus on lower tiers and you should be fine. Your list is good. If you absolutely are dying for reaches at least don't waste them on schools with 36-37 median MCATs. Rochester might be one worth consideration(I believe the MCAT median there is a 34 which is at least within 3 points of yours).

If you want more MD schools
VCU
Eastern Virginia
Rush
Oakland
Western Michigan
Penn State
Saint Louis
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind
Saint Louis
Tulane
Wake Forest

Good grades/scores, excellent activities. List is OK. But you should apply to ~20 schools.

Look into: Rush, Rosalind Franklin, EVMS, VCU, Penn State, Einstein, BU (reach)

Good grades/scores, excellent activities. List is OK. But you should apply to ~20 schools.

Look into: Rush, Rosalind Franklin, EVMS, VCU, Penn State, Einstein, BU (reach)

Oh yes, I am planning on applying to probably 15 or so. Currently looking through MSAR right now because that is not an exhaustive list (pre-wrote a lot of secondaries so now I have to determine which schools to add to my AMCAS)

Oh yes, I am planning on applying to probably 15 or so. Currently looking through MSAR right now because that is not an exhaustive list (pre-wrote a lot of secondaries so now I have to determine which schools to add to my AMCAS)

Since it is on the late side to submit the primary I think you should apply to 20+ schools. Your application is great, don't get me wrong, but you want the best chances.

Since it is on the late side to submit the primary I think you should apply to 20+ schools. Your application is great, don't get me wrong, but you want the best chances.

Primary is already submitted and verified 2 weeks ago (already got a secondary)! I am adding the rest of my list today and tomorrow and have most of secondaries pre-written to be able to turn them around quickly. Not sure if that changes anything!

I took a quick look through MSAR and this seems to be a list of school that my stats fit into their median ranges:

Albany
Einstein
Central Michigan
Creighton
Drexel
Eastern Virginia
Quinnipiac
Dartmouth
GW
Georgetown
Hofstra (I know they favor higher MCAT, Ivy league)
Loyola
NYMC
Oakland
Penn State
Jefferson
Temple
Commonwealth
Tufts
Tulane
Buffalo State
UMASS (strong ties to MA - went to school in MA, currently living in MA after graduation, family in MA)
WVU
UCONN (State school)
UVM
Virginia Commonwealth
Wake Forest

Reaches (but within the 10th percentile)
BU
Mayo
Emory
Rochester
Pitt

Not sure if I am missing any obvious schools (SUNY's?) or if there are a couple mid-tier that would fit my research focused, high GPA, median MCAT stats.

Thank you again!

I took a quick look through MSAR and this seems to be a list of school that my stats fit into their median ranges:

Albany
Einstein
Central Michigan
Creighton
Drexel
Eastern Virginia
Quinnipiac
Dartmouth
GW
Georgetown
Hofstra (I know they favor higher MCAT, Ivy league)
Loyola
NYMC
Oakland
Penn State
Jefferson
Temple
Commonwealth
Tufts
Tulane
Buffalo State
UMASS (strong ties to MA - went to school in MA, currently living in MA after graduation, family in MA)
WVU
UCONN (State school)
UVM
Virginia Commonwealth
Wake Forest

Reaches (but within the 10th percentile)
BU
Mayo
Emory
Rochester
Pitt

Not sure if I am missing any obvious schools (SUNY's?) or if there are a couple mid-tier that would fit my research focused, high GPA, median MCAT stats.

Thank you again!

I would remove:
Datmouth(your not the non trad type they look for)
Einstein(MCAT is too low)
Central Michigan(very difficult to get into OOS)
Buffalo(I believe 90% IS)
UMass(even if you have strong ties only 4% of their class is OOS and your MCAT is 2 points below their median so I don't think your stats are high enough to be in that 4% they consider).

Everything else sounds fine. It's your call what you want to do with your reaches but you should really cover your bases with 20+ realistic schools given its late in the app cycle to be safe.

Reactions: 1 user
Primary is already submitted and verified 2 weeks ago (already got a secondary)! I am adding the rest of my list today and tomorrow and have most of secondaries pre-written to be able to turn them around quickly. Not sure if that changes anything!

Ooohhh ok you're already verified. In that case you're I'd add a few more targets that you want, but otherwise you're fine.