sGPA a lot lower than expected...what to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
P

Pup5

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
My cGPA is 3.7, and BCPM is 3.68. And I expected my sGPA to be SOMEWHERE close to this.

It turns out, AACOMAS doesn't count math grades at all when calculating sGPA, and counts engineering courses as science (I found this odd since most schools don't regard LORs from engineering professors as science letters). I did very well in my math classes, but that apparently no longer matters, and I got railed in all my hardcore engineering classes during my junior year, getting straight B's and B+s.

Long story short, my calculated sGPA that AACOMAS is showing is 3.55. I'm very discouraged at this point because it would make me much less of a desirable applicant. And since my MCAT score is only slightly above average, I was counting on my GPA hoping that it would buff it out...so this is even more concerning.

Do schools take into consideration what your major was? I don't know what to do at this point...

"Much less of a desirable applicant"
Hahaha take a look at average c/sGPA for matriculants in 2016. Take a deep breath, you'll be just fine with a 3.55s if you apply now (broadly would help too).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Have you taken your MCAT? Your score should reflect the rigor of those courses, so you're fine! That's actually not a bad GPA lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
My cGPA is 3.7, and BCPM is 3.68. And I expected my sGPA to be SOMEWHERE close to this.

It turns out, AACOMAS doesn't count math grades at all when calculating sGPA, and counts engineering courses as science (I found this odd since most schools don't regard LORs from engineering professors as science letters). I did very well in my math classes, but that apparently no longer matters, and I got railed in all my hardcore engineering classes during my junior year, getting straight B's and B+s.

Long story short, my calculated sGPA that AACOMAS is showing is 3.55. I'm very discouraged at this point because it would make me much less of a desirable applicant. And since my MCAT score is only slightly above average, I was counting on my GPA hoping that it would buff it out...so this is even more concerning.

Do schools take into consideration what your major was? I don't know what to do at this point...
We don't care what your major was, only that you did well.

Your stats are competitive for all DO schools, and tons of MD as well.

There's no way in hell you're getting into a DO program with a 3.7 cGPA, 3.6 sGPA, and an above-average MCAT. Sorry, but there's just no way.

You might get some DO interviews, but don't be surprised if the interviewers say, "Listen, Pup5. We loved your essay, we thought your LoRs were solid, we like your maturity, thoughtfulness, and ambition... but we're having a lot of trouble looking past your 3.6 sGPA. How did you manage to do so terribly in your science classes? Aren't you ashamed of yourself?"

You heard it here first, OP. Pack your beach towels and get ready for a four-year vacation in Antigua.

Reactions: 1 users
Chill, OP. You are fiiiiine.

Even if your MCAT is only... idk what the average is... 500? Your gpa is solid. Apply broadly and avoid the schools that like the high MCAT applicants (costal Touros & Midwestern come to mind.)

Reactions: 1 user
OP, I got an II already and I have way worse GPAs than you do and my MCAT is only slightly above average. Get above a 499 and you'll do fine for DO with a good school list.