sGPA - How low is too low?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Freakfarm0

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, it's my first post so be gentle.

Anyway, for the main question, I was wondering how low my sGPA could get before medical schools start shunning me. I'm currently at a 3.44 sGPA. My NONscience GPA is a 4.0 (is this "core" GPA?), and my overall GPA is a 3.61.

Most of my concern is brought on by a ridiculously hard semester, which currently has me looking at most of my science classes ending in Bs (and hopefully not Cs).

How will this below average sGPA affect me in the "chances" department?

How high should my MCAT be to balance out the sGPA?

My extracurriculars, clinical experience, and volunteering are all in check. Those I am not worried about.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyway, for the main question, I was wondering how low my sGPA could get before medical schools start shunning me. I'm currently at a 3.44 sGPA. My NONscience GPA is a 4.0 (is this "core" GPA?), and my overall GPA is a 3.61.

Most of my concern is brought on by a ridiculously hard semester, which currently has me looking at most of my science classes ending in Bs (and hopefully not Cs).

My extracurriculars, clinical experience, and volunteering are all in check. Those I am not worried about.

You have to realize that GPA is only a part of your entire application, and it will play an important role in the initial screening process.

Your GPA seems just a little on below average side, but keep on working to improve it if you can before applying. You have to realize that many successful applicants also have hard class schedule and are able to maintain good GPA.

As for MCAT score, unless you get high marks above 35 near 40 range, it won't do much compensation for low GPA.

But if you have strong EC (including research) and good PS, I think you will be fine.

To help you out...

Many schools list an average sGPA. Many of which of the middle tier schools are around 3.6

Remember, with averages, you'll have people below and far above. So don't sweat it. Your cumGPA is going to be great. Do well on the MCAT and you'll get your interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)

As high as possible? For reference, I've landed 3 acceptances so far. My sGPA's in the 3.2 range, and my MCAT's in the low 30's. You want the best numbers you can get, but as others have pointed out, they're only part of the equation

You have to realize that GPA is only a part of your entire application, and it will play an important role in the initial screening process.

Your GPA seems just a little on below average side, but keep on working to improve it if you can before applying. You have to realize that many successful applicants also have hard class schedule and are able to maintain good GPA.

As for MCAT score, unless you get high marks above 35 near 40 range, it won't do much compensation for low GPA.

But if you have strong EC (including research) and good PS, I think you will be fine.

That's completely incorrect. You don't need near the 40 range. A 3.4 is a respectable science GPA. You will be fine, just work hard

Thanks for the advice and the confidence everyone, I appreciate it.

You need to hold the line on this - don't let it slip - turn some of those Bs into B+, or better yet, A-...realize that anything less than an A- will erode this sGPA...fight like hell to avoid Cs - you really can't afford the hit to your GPA now.

Better to refer to BCPM GPA, which also includes math grades, and not all "science" classes are BCPM, so make sure you know the difference when computing your sGPA. If you are strong in math, you could always take additional classes to boost BCPM, for instance.