SGU and the Hurricaine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stephew

SDN Super Moderator
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
As per my conversation with the school:

1) the school will be chartering a flight into Grenada to bring in supplies that the chancellor is organizing.

2)some want to donate: if you do, contact 800 899-6337: debbie Beeman ext 246.

3) food and water ok for a few days (they're emptying University club).

4)SENIOR OFFICIALS AND RAs have been on campus the whole time. They were holed up just like students. Including the four of five Deans. The rumor that they got on the plane monday afternoon is not true (actually the word used in responce to my direct question about that is no publishable here) as per the school. Many students were with the faculty at the time.

5)There is wind and water damage to the campus buildings but the buildings are structurally sound via visual inspection. Engineers (probably from Trinidad) are being sent in to confirm. The majority of repairs it is anticipated, will involve window and roofing materials. University admin is "very pleased with how the structural buildings held up". One dorm did lose its roof. no one was hurt.

6)in spite of reports of looting, the contact the university has had with students suggests there has been none of this on campus. A liquor store off campus of course did have a robbery; glovers did open their doors to others but NOT UNDER THREAT. The word quoted to me was "there is real community spirit but people are nervous".

7)classes hope to be up and running monday.

8)the university is working with the US state department. A master list of students is being compiled and the US state department will confirm their safety.

9) the campus has opened available phone lines for students to call parents and notify family of safety. There are three phones so it will take a while. The students can call out; people shouldn't call in.

10) please call sgu as the phones were manned all night last night and probably tonight 1 800 899-6337- hit "zero".

11) unconfirmed report is 19 Grenadians lost their lives.

Members don't see this ad.