SGU interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dknykid1980

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all.. i just had an interview at ross and I'm gonna be having one at SGU shortly.

can anyone shed some light onto what the little "essay" topics at the interview might be like? I did a search to check out some posts but they were all pretty old ones.

oh yah preferralby somone who recently to accepted could give me some help.

Also.....if anyone of you are SGU grads can you contact me cuz i would like to get some info.

Members don't see this ad.

I think the topics are usual...Why be a doctor? and couple others. Don't stress over those...they are just looking to verify that what U wrote on application was U talking and not someone else. I am MS1 at SGU. If U have q's I can try to help. U can also visit Unofficial SGU Forum on network 54. Look it up...I don't remember the link.

I can't remember what the topics of the essay were but they were really easy. Don't worry about it

Members don't see this ad :)
I wrote them down off of interviewfeedback.com, but they are in my house (I'm at school)....but if you go to that websire and choose "all other schools" you can sift through and find out the exact essay questions. I think one is to choose a person who had influenced your life.

Good luck!

dr. foxy are u a male or female :wink:

hehe just wondering..

oh and if you are a girl are u going to SGU or atleast applying for august?
:D

Dr. Foxy i just tried going to interviewfeedback.com but i couldnt fidn that other school section. only other field or something.

:confused:

One of them was definitely "who or what has been the biggest influence on your life?" It was pretty easy. Good Luck.

dknykid1980:

I'm a female, and I recently posted pics in my profile and webpage if you're curious.

I have not applied yet to SGU b/c I have 3 interviews with allopathic US med schools, so I'm waiting to hear from them first. But if I don't hear any good news by March 15th, I *may* apply to SGU....I think their deadline is June 15th. I wonder if I could get in if I apply that late.

OK follow these instructions:

Go to interviewfeedback.com
Click browse (it's on the right)
In the list of schools to choose from, click "All Other Schools"
Now this list combines all international schools, so it is very annoying. Just look at the beginning of each questionarre and it will usually say what school it is--this process will take a while, but it's worth it, b/c you'll know everything about the interview when you are done. Good luck!

If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me because I don't check this forum that often.

~Dra. Foxy

Hi nykid!
Here are some answers to yous q's.
Follow your questions:

U:I was just wondering, well first of if you are a traditional student or non-trad.

H: I am in the middle. I am 26, so not too trad. But went from college straight to med. But have several degrees and been a nurse for 10 years.

U:As a follow up, which is more predominant over there?

H: I think you have a good mix here. Some are young kids (19, 20) othes are "kids" of 40 and 50.
But may be slight predominance of non-trad.

U: Also. I guess my choices are b/w Ross and SGU, if this was the case for you why did you chosse SGU?

H:No I only applied to SGU (from carrib schools) and got in. But have considered ROSS, read some disturbing things about it. Its class size and policies towards students. Also SGU is called "Harvard of Carribean" that must mean something.

U: So you said the interview is pretty much BS right?

H: No interview is not BS...!!! Take it seriously. They are relying heavily on the evaluation of the physician that will interview you. This is the only way for them to get to know you. All I said is not to worry too much about your essay. That part in nor very important. I think it is only for vrification purposes.

U: oh....i dont know if you've asked around or whatever yet, but how many students are actually able to transfer out after their second or third years?

H: About 10 students each semestr, most to "friendly" schools (U of Maiami)
But read the post of mine on "New policy from med schools". If that is true more of us will be able to transfer.

U: Also...how is the social scene like? what do ppl do? are there parties/bars (ok i know that shouldnt be a big concern)?

H: yaeh there are parties and ways to relax, though not to much time to do so.

U: Do you think you're getting just as great of an education as a US student? I mean the board exam pass rates of the past seem to indicate that SGU students do well, is that what u feel personally?

H: I think that my education will be equal, if not superior to US students. After all any med school is based on your personal motives and hard work. Besides, SGU combines european and US systems of med educ. That is better than straight forward US. SGU grads are better clinicians than most US schools produce (again it is up each student to get to where the SGU path leads)

If you have more q's ask away. I ll try to accomodate as time permits.

Hope to see you on campus one day.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Hirurg:
•Hi nykid!
I think that my education will be equal, if not superior to US students. After all any med school is based on your personal motives and hard work. Besides, SGU combines european and US systems of med educ. That is better than straight forward US. SGU grads are better clinicians than most US schools produce (again it is up each student to get to where the SGU path leads)

•••••This is the only thing that I would dissagree with. SGU will produce some students that are better clinicians than most US students, however, there will be many US students that are better clinicians than most SGU students. I completely agree that it is up to the individual student, but I would be careful about saying that SGU produces better results than US schools. You probably didn't mean it that way, that is just how it came across to me.