1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

SGU Student-Need advice on Step 1 score!!

Discussion in 'General Residency Issues' started by meddoc, Apr 28, 2004.

1. meddoc

meddoc New Member

Hi!

I am currently attending SGU and will start rotations in the states. I took STEP 1 and got 196/80. What are my chances of me getting a residency...what specialty/programs? I would really appreciate any advice/insights from IMG's!!!!!!

Thanks!

Sam

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Well, what residencies are you interested in? How were your grades in the first two years? Any other research, publications, interests, etc.?

4. docmojo

docmojo Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    If Step 2 is in the same range as your Step 1 you will be limited in what you can do. Probably FP or IM at lower-tier programs.

Obvious advice with which to broaden your horizon: Score much higher on Step 2, get A's in all of your cores (at a minimum), and work hard/smart so you can score stellar letters in your rotations.

:luck:

5. Mlee

Mlee Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

this may be a dumb question but in the long run, once you're done with residencies/fellowships does it really matter how good the programs you went to were? (i'm pre-med so I really don't have any background in this.) thanks.

6. VentdependenT

VentdependenT You didnt build thaT
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Think about what you just asked. The answer is yes. I'm not refering to name status/recognition, but rather program strength (quality of fellow residents, quality of clinical exposure, quality of teaching, etc.).

As for the OP, rock your step II buddy and go from there. Focus on landing some good letters and rotating at a couple of strong places in fields you are interested in.

7. Mlee

Mlee Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

in terms of experience, education and networking i understand that the competitive programs are better but how about in terms of salary after you're done? can an MD from a not so great/mediocre program make the same as an MD from a top-ranked program (assuming they both specialized in the same thing)Thanks.

8. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Yes. Salary is either based on a) productivity or b) a base number which everyone starts at. While someone from a competitive program may have more bargaining chips (ie, may have other job offers), in general, this will not significantly affect your post-residency salary (leaving out obvious superstars in demand by everyone).